The Trip - Series 2

I couldn't see one so I thought I would start a thread for this.

It starts on Friday 4th April. I am very excited about this, possibly my favourite new comedy of this decade so far.

Yes, Series 1 was great so I'm looking forward to the new series.

Missed Series 1 but having seen clips am looking forward to this...for the record I think Rob does a better Michael Caine.

Very looking forward to this. I liked the first series...very low key but funny, and with great landscape shots.

More of the same but I like it so far.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th April 2014, 10:08 PM BST

More of the same but I like it so far.

THA BLADDDY DOORZZOFF

A morisette... :D

The last scene with the young people at the table was great.

Yes, I really enjoyed it too. A wonderful opener to the series, it's almost like Rob and Steve haven't been away. Plus, there's some excellent scenery too!

Quote: G180e @ 4th April 2014, 10:34 PM BST

Plus, there's some excellent scenery too!

...and wonderful fooooood! This show makes me hungry.Bastards!

Very enjoyable in a kind of self indulgent, ambling, Last of the Summer Wine type way.

Though for people who pride themselves on doing impressions, the Batman and Bale stuff was pretty dire, a shame because the set up and material was good, including Tom Hardy doing advertising voiceovers, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

I do love the way they try to crowbar some melancholy into the story, being ignored by young girls in this episode, but it doesn't wash. Two famous rich guys get paid to ponce around Italy eating the finest food imaginable, but they can't get any teenage poontang along the way - oh boo hoo hoo.

Rather astonishingly a complete re-tread of the first series, including the same impressions but fewer jokes. Factor in the over-familiarity and 'disappointingly shit' doesn't even cover it.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th April 2014, 12:33 AM BST

Rather astonishingly a complete re-tread of the first series, including the same impressions but fewer jokes. Factor in the over-familiarity and 'disappointingly shit' doesn't even cover it.

Out of interest, and without wishing to sound rude, what were you expecting?

It doesn't matter how self aware he's being, it's fairly obvious Coogan agrees with the view of many that this is a self indulgent ego trip.

Brydon seems much less concerned about that, he's an 'entertainer' with no hangups about ego. So unless Coogan gets into it this is going to end up being the Rob Brydon show, isn't it? Brydon imo is the most talented comedian around so if this just goes to prove how unheralded he's been then that's a good thing.

The show itself is very indulgent and predictable and some true sitcom writers of any level must be thinking this is another kick in the teeth from the cronyist BBC. I loved the first series but am very much of the view now that that should have been that.

Surely any 'meta' type show is going to be somewhat of an ego trip. I don't really think that matters, provided the end result is thoroughly enjoyable and funny (which I think it was).

I loved it. So far it's as good (perhaps better) than the first series.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The recycled impressions don't bother me, if they're funny to begin with then they remain funny when repeated a few times. As well as being amusing I think it ties in with the little sub plot of them trying to outwit each other all the time. So for me half the fun of the impressions is the air of desperation about them.

I don't think this is any kind of ego trip for these guys, if anything they come off as looking a bit tragic but I think that's the idea. It mixes fiction with a fair amount of their real characters which I think is very absorbing. The part where Steve ponders on the fact that young girls see him in a non sexual way was very well done. Moments like that are what make The Trip much more than just two blokes doing impressions on holiday. The way it's shot is sublime too.

My only gripe is the way in which they both behave while eating. Elbows on the table, talking with full mouths and the general slovenliness can take me out of the moment.