Count Arthur Strong - Series 1 (TV) Page 11

The only 2 good sitcoms BBC has made recently is Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan.

Quote: David Smith @ July 22 2013, 11:48 AM BST

The only 2 good sitcoms BBC has made recently is Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan.

I agree with you but Count Arthur Strong is excellent too, but each to their own.

Quote: bob4apples @ July 21 2013, 11:27 AM BST

Not just me either. And how many of those who did warm to it immediately were already familiar with the radio show? Quite a fair percentage I would say. So to a new viewer, it's a big let down then. ie. bad writing

No. I'm a new viewer and I love it. Never heard of the radio show but I think this is brilliantly written.

I laughed once today. When the drunken radio actor was singing "Copacabana" in the pub.

They've found out how to make the Count Arthur TV adaptation funny, film him doing a radio show. I could have told them that.

Very enjoyable.

Not exactly hilarious, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

The director woman with the short hair sounded just like Victor Meldrew's wife! Is she her daughter in real life or something? It was uncanny.

Quote: youngian @ July 22 2013, 9:00 PM BST

They've found out how to make the Count Arthur TV adaptation funny, film him doing a radio show. I could have told them that.

Exactly.
By physically dividing the two story lines this week they made even more apparent what should by now be bleedin' obvious.
Count Arthur Strong is a funny character.
The Rory Kinnear story is weak - and totally redundant.

Imagine taking an episode of Fawlty Towers, chucking away half the material so you could cut away to the bitter-sweet story of Manuel's brother trying to trace his long lost uncle.
I really can't think what possessed them.
The fact that huge chunks of the 'radio play' stuff was lifted from a previous CASRS - and worked perfectly well on TV - shows that they really didn't need to tinker with this.
One can only hope that Series 2 may learn the lesson.
But I shan't hold my breath.

Quote: lofthouse @ July 22 2013, 9:02 PM BST

Very enjoyable.

Not exactly hilarious, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

The director woman with the short hair sounded just like Victor Meldrew's wife! Is she her daughter in real life or something? It was uncanny.

Short answer - yes she is.

I DONNNNT BELEEEEEEEEVE IT!!

Quote: Ringo @ July 22 2013, 7:34 PM BST

No. I'm a new viewer and I love it. Never heard of the radio show but I think this is brilliantly written.

You're very much in the minority then. Everyone I know who's seen it said it was awful, unfunny and badly written.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 22 2013, 9:15 PM BST

Exactly.
By physically dividing the two story lines this week they made even more apparent what should by now be bleedin' obvious.
Count Arthur Strong is a funny character.
The Rory Kinnear story is weak - and totally redundant.

Episode 1: 971k
Episode 2: 802k
Episode 3: ???

Quote: bob4apples @ July 22 2013, 9:28 PM BST

You're very much in the minority then. Everyone I know who's seen it said it was awful, unfunny and badly written.

Well everyone I know really likes it

So what happens now?

Do we call it a draw?

Anyway why are you reading and contributing to a thread about a comedy you don't like?

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ July 22 2013, 9:44 PM BST

Episode 1: 971k
Episode 2: 802k
Episode 3: ???

Probably no one since they announced the Royal progeny at the same time.

Quote: bob4apples @ July 22 2013, 10:50 AM BST

Yes, only on BSG and how many of them were already fans of the radio show?

I fail to see what the British Society of Gastroenterology forum has got to do with anything?

Quote: bob4apples @ July 22 2013, 9:28 PM BST

Haha. No, that would only put me in the minority when it comes to everyone you know. Are you this angry in everyday life?