Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies Page 2

It's due on Sky Atlantic this Autumn, I think.

Quote: Aaron @ July 6 2013, 5:58 PM BST

It's due on Sky Atlantic this Autumn, I think.

Do you think it will get a UK DVD release?

Almost certainly.

http://splitsider.com/2013/09/watch-a-trailer-for-stephen-merchants-new-hbo-series-hello-ladies/

I've just seen the trailer and I'm very excited as the show looks great, the only downside is I don't have Sky Atlantic. I hope it will get a DVD release here in the UK.

I thought the first episode was very good. He's playing to his strengths without resorting to too much physical comedy. It was far more dramatic and nuanced than I thought it would be too. It's felt more akin to Louie than The Office or Extras but it still maintained a lot of the latter's cringe inducing set ups. I hope this moves him further away from needing to team up with Derek ever again.

When was it on?

Quote: G180e @ September 30 2013, 9:18 PM BST

When was it on?

Was on last night in America. A pirate handed me a recording of it today.
Whistling nnocently

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ September 30 2013, 4:55 PM BST

I thought the first episode was very good. He's playing to his strengths without resorting to too much physical comedy. It was far more dramatic and nuanced than I thought it would be too. It's felt more akin to Louie than The Office or Extras but it still maintained a lot of the latter's cringe inducing set ups. I hope this moves him further away from needing to team up with Derek ever again.

I liked it too. It's pretty bleak but not TOO depressing. I thought the characters were all quite well-drawn and believable, and even though Stuart himself isn't particularly nice, he's weak enough to still like. A good start. Absolutely miles better than Life's Too Short.

To many cringes and not enough laughs. It was just ok in my book... I'll be sticking with it crossing my fingers it gets better.

Agree with the above. OK, not much more - at least at this point. Will give it a couple more episodes.

But the press reaction in North America has been about 90% negative, none of it having to do with it being "too British" or similar.

I enjoyed it, but then I love cringe comedy.
I thought the first half started out really strong not so many laughs in the second half, but it looks promising, looking forward to the next episode.

When is it on in the UK? I hope it's as good as extras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_sjVs2x-ns

Quote: MTpromises @ October 1 2013, 8:28 PM BST

To many cringes and not enough laughs. It was just ok in my book... I'll be sticking with it crossing my fingers it gets better.

totally agree. I'll definitely stick with it too.

Quote: Phil Cottrell @ October 1 2013, 9:08 PM BST

But the press reaction in North America has been about 90% negative, none of it having to do with it being "too British" or similar.

Where did you pluck that stat from? Meta critic collates all the reviews and it got six positive, thirteen mixed and no negative reviews - http://www.metacritic.com/tv/hello-ladies

Does anyone know if this was the pilot or if they re-shot it? A lot of pilots try to cram in a broad spectrum of what the show has to offer, that could explain why it wasn't a full on laugh fest.