Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies Page 4

Quote: MCharsley @ October 18 2013, 9:57 AM BST

The B plot with Wade was totally pointless and provided no laughs though.

Yeah that was just strange and tacked on, like they'd had notes on the first two episodes that they needed to flesh out the supporting cast a little and just got it totally wrong.

Watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I was glad there were moments of pathos (the lone supermarket jaunt, basket in hand, micro meal for one while watching cookery programmes, the sad faced drive home) mingled with the slapstick, I found myself telling him not to be a schmuck buying rounds of drinks for those ungrateful bastards!
Plenty of funny bits and am looking forward to the next episode.

I still haven't managed to see the first episode yet, but Stephen was great on The One Show Wednesday night, it was a really good interview with him promoting the series.

Ep 4 was pretty good. Or at least not so bad! I'll definitely watch to the end. It feels like it could be really good, just has an element missing!

Episode 4 definitely the best so far by a mile.

Still on Episode 2....enjoying it a lot, still can't figure out if there is meant to be 'something' between him and Jessica, those on Ep 4, there's no need to tell me if you know the answer by now ;)

Finally got round to watching Episode 1 and I loved it! I really liked some of the slapstick that was used in the episode and really enjoyed Stuart's chats with the girls in the club. Brilliant!

A clear step up this week (episode 6)with a couple of very funny moments! Quite sad at the end though...!

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 11th June 2013, 9:06 PM BST

I think Gervais has engineered the reception the show got very well. He retweets nearly every day from people who loved the show. But all in all most comedy fans hated it for it's lack of subtlety and nondescript story line. It really was like having a hammer of cheese and sentimentality smashed across my face.

But this is about Merchant and I hope he proves that unlike Gervais he is able to progress as a comic.

I agree, confused about the praise for Derick, and I've always been a Gervais fan. Just found it so painfully contrived, like an idiot's guide to sentimentality. I almost got the impression he'd discovered the Einaudi soundtrack first and worked backwards from that! Shame as it's great music too often used in rubbish shows.

His twitter thing about it doesn't reflect well on him, refusing to take any criticism is one thing, but going so overboard on the praise for it? Almost like he's trying to convince himself it's good. All about being nice apparently, a clever mechanism to use against criticism he seems to think. Shame he had to invent a difficult to watch stupid character to be nice.

Merchant is infinitely more likable and down to earth. Hello Ladies has some good moments but can't see much longevity for it. Good luck to him though for doing a straightforward sit-com rather than the tired Gervais gimmicks.

I'm not completely sold on Hello Ladies yet. I've warmed to it more as it has gone on, but I'm often finding Merchant's character to be too similar to Andy Millman. Gervais tried something different with Derek, whereas Merchant is sticking with the tried-and-tested here. It does still work, there have been some really good bits. I don't think Janice has been great, Wade's more hit than miss and the nerdy assistant guy is wonderful.

This was pretty good when all the episodes were put together. The whole final episode was extremely predictable though! Also there were some recycled jokes from extras in this episode too. Nice series on the whole though.

The episode I'm up to, (the swimming pool party one) did feel a bit like the same thing repeated again, I'd like to see some progression for Stuart, will he ever get together with the blond?? The side story of the homeless girl was pointless and free of laughs. But It's still a mustn't miss show for me and could watch Stephen forever.

I've just seen the first 3 episodes and have to say I'm impressed, I'm not normally a 'laugh out loud' kind of guy but I found myself really laughing at a couple of the scenes in the first two.

Merchant is great in this and tbh I fully expected him to write something as good. However, the only slight gripe I have is that his constant bad luck might wear a little thin after a while. I'm aware that when things go right it isn't normally funny, but continually watching a likeable character fail can make viewers switch off or annoy them to the point that they don't find it funny.

I hope his character does triumph in a couple of the episodes - even if it eventually leads to stupid circumstances.

Can't believe this is not universally loved.
It's brilliant - but my only criticism is there are some jokes and mannerisms recycled from Ricky Gervais classic moments.

However overall a great series, nice to see him branch out on his own and nice to see HBO getting behind this project. Can't wait for more.

Quote: ashleybrownmedia @ 21st November 2013, 5:22 PM GMT

I've just seen the first 3 episodes and have to say I'm impressed, I'm not normally a 'laugh out loud' kind of guy but I found myself really laughing at a couple of the scenes in the first two.

Merchant is great in this and tbh I fully expected him to write something as good. However, the only slight gripe I have is that his constant bad luck might wear a little thin after a while. I'm aware that when things go right it isn't normally funny, but continually watching a likeable character fail can make viewers switch off or annoy them to the point that they don't find it funny.

I hope his character does triumph in a couple of the episodes - even if it eventually leads to stupid circumstances.

A couple of scenes in two eps ? Are you sure comedy is your bag Ash or is this just bad? ;)