The general pop/rock - music thread Page 92

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th April 2015, 3:33 PM BST

This one's (both versions) winking at me for weeks in the record store on my way home. I have almost every Yes album but no Wakeman solo record yet.

As a big Yes fan I have the vinyl of this and Journey to the Centre of the Earth which I saw him perform at the Royal Festival Hall in the 1970s.

I think it's Lowell George's Birthday today (70th). Congrats!

Trouble - Little Feat

Quote: Chappers @ 12th April 2015, 2:55 PM BST

Six wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman (ummed and aahed over whether to get the deluxe version or original and decided to get the basic one at half the price of the other - now wish I'd got the expanded version).

I think the deluxe version isn't that exciting contentwise. The second disc is a DVD audio which replicates the original album. There seems to be no additional and rare material on the whole set at all.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th April 2015, 8:15 PM BST

I think the deluxe version isn't that exciting contentwise. The second disc is a DVD audio which replicates the original album. There seems to be no additional and rare material on the whole set at all.

I thought it was a live concert.

I do usually prefer to get the deluxe versions but it really pisses me off when they bring out a special edition some months after the release of the original one - e.g. Wilko and Daltrey. I know why they do it. I just wish they wouldn't!

Quote: Chappers @ 14th April 2015, 8:50 PM BST

.. it really pisses me off when they bring out a special edition some months after the release of the original one - e.g. Wilko and Daltrey. I know why they do it. I just wish they wouldn't!

Same thing with the Stones remasters a few years ago. They released Exile and Some Girls a few months after the single disc versions...without warning the fans. I had to replace almost new CDs. Bastards.

Another RIP - Percy Sledge has passed away, aged 74.

In tribute, here's the excellent Burton Cummings version of his most famous hit (When a Man Loves a Woman for those who somehow didn't already know that!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUv6GGY5S80

Quote: radiat10n @ 14th April 2015, 9:01 PM BST

Another RIP - Percy Sledge has passed away, aged 74.

In tribute, here's the excellent Burton Cummings version of his most famous hit (When a Man Loves a Woman for those who somehow didn't already know that!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUv6GGY5S80

New to me. Thanks ever so much. Although a rocker, he doesn't remove its soul. Amazing just how young people like Sledge in the 60s & 70s were. Mid-20s at most. That song was released in 1966.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th April 2015, 9:06 PM BST

New to me. Thanks ever so much. Although a rocker, he doesn't remove its soul. Amazing just how young people like Sledge were in the 60s/70s were. Mid-twenties at most. That song was released in 1966.

Yes, that's what's surprising me. I thought he was much older.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th April 2015, 9:08 PM BST

Yes, that's what's surprising me. I thought he was much older.

Younger in spirit but older in tone?

I think it was something along those lines.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th April 2015, 3:09 PM BST

I think it's Lowell George's Birthday today (70th). Congrats!

Trouble - Little Feat

Thanks for flagging up.

Worth it.

Michael Chapman - Savage Amusement (Secret Recordings SECCD115)

Reissue of 1976 album, recorded by Stax producer Don Nix. Toughened-up band versions of originals and well-chosen covers make for an exciting roots-rock record. Four bonus tracks, 16-page booklet.

The Secret of the Locks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ9GnTGwcr4

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st December 2014, 4:18 PM GMT

This box set is making me horny, I think I'm going to buy it.

Finally, I ordered it yesterday. Hurry up, Mr. postman.

:Strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-465678-1314868911.jpeg.jpg" alt="Image">

The first one is not a Journey record, it's Mickey Hart's Rolling Thunder.

Excellent news! I'm off to see Blur in June at their Hyde Park gig.

It's been 16 years since I last saw them...

Great Ben. I hope they'll come to Switzerland. Their appearance on Graham Norton's show yesterday was great fun.

Yeah, they didn't say too much on there though. I was hoping they'd have a decent chat.

Damon Albarn has always been a bit funny in interviews though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeT4JxAheZg