The general pop/rock - music thread Page 97

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 26th June 2015, 7:56 PM BST

With Chappo?

The classic line up. Chapman, Townsend, Palmer and Cregan with Strawbs supporting.

Just heard Chris Squire has passed away. RIP>

https://twitter.com/asiageoff/status/615159221387182080

RIP Chris Squire.

Your way of playing bass brought an element of punk into the prog sound of Yes.

Little coincidence: Two or three hours ago I was listening to the deluxe edition of Close To The Edge I bought at the beginning of the week. :(

Basically the only continuous element of Yes. One of my favourite bands of all time.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 28th June 2015, 5:45 PM BST

RIP Chris Squire.

Your way of playing bass brought an element of punk into the prog sound of Yes.

Little coincidence: Two or three hours ago I was listening to the deluxe edition of Close To The Edge I bought at the beginning of the week. :(

4Before Punk. Lead Bass.

I've been wanting this for so long and now finally found it dirt cheap:

What is it? A compilation? There have been loads.

I got Framed on the strength of their appearance on Whistle test and they were great rockers as well as doing things like "The Impossible Dream", "Cheek to cheek" and "Tomorrow belongs to me".

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2015, 7:50 PM BST

What is it? A compilation? There have been loads.

Yes, it's a comp and it's my very first cd by them. Normally you don't find their albums in the stores here because they are practically unknown here. It was my lucky day today. And it cost me only 3 Euros.

Well look out for "There's no lights on the Christmas tree mother, they're burning Big Louie tonight" and "Framed."

Postman brought me this:

I'm not a huge disco fan but Chic/Nile Rodgers certainly had style.

I saw a Chic Organisation double CD yesterday but it had no Odyssey on it.

Watched "Rock Around the Clock" that featured Bill Haley and His Comets along with others, that I had recorded from Film 4. A film that I had only seen bits of previously.

OK, it's from 1956 and youth was on the uprise, but really cannot see why it caused riots in cinemas. Very tame compared to say "The Wild One" (1953) or "Rock Rock Rock!" that came out the same year - why was early Rock and Roll so much of a tinder-box?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th July 2015, 10:17 AM BST

Watched "Rock Around the Clock" that featured Bill Haley and His Comets along with others, that I had recorded from Film 4. A film that I had only seen bits of previously.

I watched the first 15 minutes or so last friday on BBC 4. The dance scenes in the club were quite impressive. Bill Haley wasn't exactly a genius as an actor though.

OK, it's from 1956 and youth was on the uprise, but really cannot see why it caused riots in cinemas. Very tame compared to say "The Wild One" (1953) or "Rock Rock Rock!" that came out the same year - why was early Rock and Roll so much of a tinder-box?

You tell us, I mean, you must have been around fifty years old then.
:P

Phnar.........

OK, it's from 1956 and youth was on the uprise, but really cannot see why it caused riots in cinemas.

I really couldn't say as I was only born the same year.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th July 2015, 4:10 PM BST

I really couldn't say as I was only born the same year.

And despite the scandalous rumour GB is trying to put about, I was only 11.