Derek - Pilot Page 15

I'm still waiting for him to produce "When The Whistle Blows". F**k, he needs to make that. You could easily make it work on both levels, a broad appeal and a show with loads in-jokes that rip the piss out of the format.

Quote: zooo @ April 18 2012, 2:21 PM BST

Do people think he writes everyone he knows?
Stephen Merchant? Is he a character invented by Ricky too?

No

Ricky Gervais is a character played by a highly creative lesbian from Stoke On Trent.

I thought it therefore it is.

Quote: tainage @ April 18 2012, 2:37 PM BST

Would it be cynical of me to suggest that the whole thing was a rushed response to "Mong Gate"?

More likely that 'mong gate' was a cynical attempt to generate some publicity ahead of a couple of shows about physical and mental 'disabilities'.

A bit like when he announced on his blog, for no reason at all, that he might one day do a commercial for a laugh and then, in a completely unrelated move a few weeks later, there he was during the Superbowl flogging TimeWarner.

Quote: Jinky @ April 19 2012, 9:50 AM BST

More likely that 'mong gate' was a cynical attempt to generate some publicity ahead of a couple of shows about physical and mental 'disabilities'.

Lol. I think these conspiracy theories might sometimes say more about the people holding them than the person they refer to.

(ie, that they might be a teeeny bit paranoid, with an overactive imagination.)

Never mind the fact that he was captured saying mong in all its glory on a very popular stand up DVD that had also been televised (and of course in every live show on that run). Then he said it on Twitter in exactly the same manner and only then did everyone suddenly wet themselves in horror.

There's no conspiracy, Riki is just in the unedifying position of being a "voice of the common man common sense rebel" like Clarkson and Littlejohn. Good for him it's a profitable post to hold.

And yah boo sucks on all the pointy headed, liberalnazi, muesli eating, dim bulbs.

Quote: sootyj @ April 19 2012, 10:26 AM BST

There's no conspiracy, Riki is just in the unedifying position of being a "voice of the common man common sense rebel" like Clarkson and Littlejohn. Good for him it's a profitable post to hold.

What a load of tosh Laughing out loud

Littlejohn and Clarkson? voice of the common man? have you lost your mind!?

He's made his money from comedy. He has no paid articles, released no books (except Flanimals)and never talks politics or shows an alliance to certain parties. Pretty much the opposite of those two cretins.

Voice of the Daily Mail, Nuts reading surprisingly influential democratically and eonomically man.

Certainly compared to the near extinct Guardian man.

Ricky is way to succesful, popular and rich to waste his time paddling in the water as those 2, true.
But his standup has a strong theme of kicking against the liberal pricks. Good for him.

people get the wrong end of the stick by saying it is offencive. It was just not funny. He seems to use the fighting back the PC liberals line. As a way to hide comedy that is badly performed and just not funny.

No matter what he says either The Mail, Guardian or Twitter crowd will find something to moan about. Comedians are taken literally at every juncture these days, it fills column inches and gives mouth breathers something to dribble onto.

I don't think anyone is going to mistake Derek for Rainman or Walter.

But comedy is still a serious business. What an influential comedian says is ok for mickey taking is probably way more influential then some dreary documentary, or God forbid a here today gone tomorrow politico.

Actually reading through most of the critiques no one's nose seems to be to put out of joint by the comedy. Crude stuff and cheery enough; same way no one seems to care about Moss, Nathan, Some Mothers do 'ave em etc etc.

It's the drama and mock doc stuff. It's the dramatic bits that feel queezy and uneasy. Reminds me of the awkward stuff in the Extras Christmas special.

I watched a bit of this, and found it entirely inoffensive; but I gave up after 10 minutes because it did nothing for me.

By comparison, I laughed loads during the latest edition of The Undateables, which has similar characters to Derek, except they're all real. Sam, the Downs Syndrome guy, was genuinely funny, and when he went to a meeting with his learning-disabled mates, it was comedy gold. What's more, his girlfriend was a treat, and it was genuinely touching in places.

I did wonder if Ricky and Karl were watching The Undateables. I think they'd have enjoyed it. For slightly different reasons. (Ricky for the awkward uncomfortable moments between people, and Karl 'cos, well, he likes people who are different.)

when is this coming back to TV

Nobody knows. Maybe never, maybe a year or so.