Derek - Pilot Page 14

I already stated my thoughts on it a few pages back. Just a lot of different perspectives out there.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 16 2012, 8:54 PM BST

And it's not really your theory. People have been saying this for years.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Shandonbelle @ April 16 2012, 10:34 PM BST

RG's portrayal has been ripped to shreds today in The Mail by the pissed off father of an autistic boy.

Article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130277/Ricky-Gervais-Derek-Father-autistic-teenager-attacks-vile-cynical-new-comedy.html

Note the best-rated comments. Nobody agrees with him.

They hardly talked to Karl in the early XFM podcasts, it's only as the few things he did come out with were so weird/funny that they gradually started using him more. His obscure reactions to everyday stuff prompted White Van Karl first I think.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 16 2012, 8:54 PM BST

You're backing out quicker than Antony Worrall Thompson in a Tesco Express.

You never mentioned XFM or the fact Karl was ever "real" here's what you said,

*Ahem* I know what I said and if you would read my posts you'll see I clarified my opinion - so know I'm not backing out or into anything - he started off real became a persona - always what I claimed when I expanded on what I meant.

And it's not really your theory. People have been saying this for years.

It's a theory I came to independantly, I'm sure that other people share my opinion, had it first etc. So it's mine in as much as I came up with it in the same way George Stephenson invented the steam engine.

Anyway enough of that.

Glad to see Derek has got a series though for it to be A.) a valid comedy and B.) a valid drama it needs a plot whihc the pilot seemed to lack. I'll personally see what the next episode is like.

Im astounded how anyone can be offended by Derek.

I really enjoyed it, nice to see Gervais do something more drama based rather than a straight sitcom.

I love this show its funny

Quote: sootyj @ April 16 2012, 8:55 PM BST

It's persona comedy pure and simple.

I mean its all most semi decent standups do.

Exactly. And Clarkson, Hammond and May in Top Gear.

The problem seems to be that people don't realise if those on telly were 'normal' (or even 'how they normally are at home') nothing would be in the least bit entertaining.

Or 'soap opera', as it is also known.

As for Derek: I liked it a lot. It was entertaining, funny with lots of drama and is not without its drawbacks. Yes, the custard bit was telegraphed (or are we just being 'writer-y'?) but still fun in the reactions. He's obviously more 'autistic' than 'disabled' (but then both are quite wide in their definitions anyway, aren't they? I certainly have my 'autistic moments', to which my sister would atest) but Derek is, at heart, a nice, likeable character who you want to win because he's nice and likeable rather than any inherent condition.

We keep being told that sitcom characters need to be flawed though, so hopefully he and the others are flawed characters to keep the comedy coming throughout a series.

Karl (character or otherwise) is a comic genius and his character was faultless on the screen.

Dan

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 16 2012, 11:55 PM BST

Article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130277/Ricky-Gervais-Derek-Father-autistic-teenager-attacks-vile-cynical-new-comedy.html

Note the best-rated comments. Nobody agrees with him.

When you turn to the Daily Mail for validation of your views, maybethat's the time to really question them?

Quote: swerytd @ April 18 2012, 9:50 AM BST

(but then both are quite wide in their definitions anyway, aren't they? I certainly have my 'autistic moments', to which my sister would atest)

It's your fault you married her!

As for Derek I was thinking about other characters with disabilities played by none disabled characters.

And I thought of "Nathan" in Angry Boys. He's also I think mildly learning disabled, though also deaf and mostly mute. Yet he comes over as some funnier, more real, more loved as an actual person.

I dunno. I liked him not just cos he was funny, but his story was engaging and sad.

Quote: swerytd @ April 18 2012, 9:50 AM BST

Exactly. And Clarkson, Hammond and May in Top Gear.

The problem seems to be that people don't realise if those on telly were 'normal' (or even 'how they normally are at home') nothing would be in the least bit entertaining.

Or 'soap opera', as it is also known.

Agreed, but the debate only arises when something is sold as being completely real (not scripted or improvised) - most general contention with Clarkson is that some people actually he is really like that - not that maybe he's developed a controversial public persona which helps maintain his limelight-ability.

As for Derek: I liked it a lot. It was entertaining, funny with lots of drama and is not without its drawbacks. Yes, the custard bit was telegraphed (or are we just being 'writer-y'?) but still fun in the reactions. He's obviously more 'autistic' than 'disabled' (but then both are quite wide in their definitions anyway, aren't they? I certainly have my 'autistic moments', to which my sister would atest) but Derek is, at heart, a nice, likeable character who you want to win because he's nice and likeable rather than any inherent condition.

Completely agree - though I think the controversy that envelops anything that Ricky Gervais develops is based on his public perception - not the substance of the program. From The 11 O'Clock Show to his Golden Globes appearances he's developed such a obnoxious, smug, offensive public persona that he's almost become Clarkson-esque despite the clear intention to satirise. He's also a bit of a one trick pony in that anything he writes has to come accross as natural and real (side note - one of the reasons I don't quite buy into Karl Pilkington on the podcasts) and that in television and Cinema he always plays the anti-hero. So rather than trying to be positively-biased as a character people naturally assume he's doing it to poke fun and play with people's sensibilities.

Karl (character or otherwise) is a comic genius and his character was faultless on the screen.

That's because he is a very good actor :P

Do people think he writes everyone he knows?
Stephen Merchant? Is he a character invented by Ricky too?

Would it be cynical of me to suggest that the whole thing was a rushed response to "Mong Gate"? It was around this time when Ricky Gervais was under fire that the original Derek Noakes clip resurfaced on YouTube, casting further doubts on the nature of his comedy. As the controversy rumbled on, RG happened to announce he was writing a "non-air pilot" featuring Karl Pilkington which turned out to be Derek.

It seems he is trying perhaps too hard to show he has heart and compassion. Derek is obviously a sweet (borderline saintly) character, but the validity of the whole thing would have been much easier to asses had someone else played the lead part.

All that said, purely on it's own merits it was an enjoyable enough half an hour, well acted (mostly), heavy-handed on the heartstring-tugging but containing some good laughs. The most jarring part was the pub scene. Were the nasty girls really oblivious to the presence of a documentary team? Sadly we may never know.

Quote: tainage @ April 18 2012, 2:37 PM BST

Would it be cynical of me to suggest that the whole thing was a rushed response to "Mong Gate"?

Yes.
No one could produce a show that quickly.