Watson & Oliver - Series 1 Page 3

The eyebrow sketch was just about the only thing I liked. For me the show started well and then went downhill.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 21 2012, 2:09 AM GMT

Oh, and it had John F**king Barrowman in it.

It doesn't get much more BBC System than John F**king Barrowman.

He once appeared in "Anything Goes" with the late Denis Quilley, who was supposed to be my 500th cousin or something.

*Noise of indifference*

Quote: shaggy292 @ February 21 2012, 6:26 PM GMT

That'll be on the DVD cover.

If their copywriters are ex-News International employees, yes!

Haven't watched any of this yet and not sure if I should. Based on my previous criticisms about new British comedy, should I honestly give this a watch or should I pass it by, thus avoiding a misogynistic rant on here?

You could always watch it and then rant to yourself. In the shower or something.

Quote: zooo @ February 21 2012, 10:40 PM GMT

You could always watch it and then rant to yourself. In the shower or something.

My shower rants are reserved for Fearne Cotton.

So based on your glowing recommendation, I will give this a miss.

I'm afraid I can't imagine you posting that you enjoyed anything female based! If you did like it I suspect you'd probably keep it to yourself. Ya big moaning minnie.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 21 2012, 6:40 PM GMT

Pythonesque? Which bits?

None of it.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 21 2012, 10:27 PM GMT

Haven't watched any of this yet and not sure if I should. Based on my previous criticisms about new British comedy, should I honestly give this a watch or should I pass it by, thus avoiding a misogynistic rant on here?

Please watch it.

Quote: zooo @ February 21 2012, 10:58 PM GMT

I'm afraid I can't imagine you posting that you enjoyed anything female based! If you did like it I suspect you'd probably keep it to yourself. Ya big moaning minnie.

:O

I was one of the early proponents of Miranda I'll have you know. And I enjoyed the non-singing and dancing bits of Smack The Pony.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 21 2012, 11:05 PM GMT

Please watch it.

Oh, that sounds like a challenge. I will watch it later tonight and give you a full report tomorrow.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 21 2012, 11:09 PM GMT

I was one of the early proponents of Miranda I'll have you know. And I enjoyed the non-singing and dancing bits of Smack The Pony.

I'll let you off then.

I liked it more than I thought I would. It's obviously going for a mainstream feel. Almost all the sketches are too long, though. Eyebrows, for example, could have done the job with 4 or 5 fewer examples.

Quote: Timbo @ February 21 2012, 10:23 AM GMT

The studio banter bits reminded me a bit of Morecambe and Wise; quite old fashioned stuff and none the worse for that. Girls are talented enough, and seem to have some chemistry, but need to find their feet on telly and maybe strengthen the writing team. A lot of the sketches seem set to be runners, not sure that is a good thing. Anyway always good to see a new sketch show on the box.

I agree with this. Can't say I will definitely watch it again, but I watched it all with some enjoyment when based on reviews I'd feared I would be turning off after 5 minutes.

Perhaps Aaron or Mark will know, but this does seem to have had a long gestation period. Wasn't it mooted as a big new sketch show for last autumn?

*Warning for Carpark - there is singing and dancing*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 21 2012, 11:09 PM GMT

I liked Smack the Pony as well.
You never realise how quite good something is until it's gone

Quote: Badge @ February 21 2012, 11:12 PM GMT

*Warning for Carpark - there is singing and dancing*

It's a female sketch show, they're pretty much par for the course.

Haven't seen this yet, but my Mum said they came across as having no chemistry, the eyebrow sketch got dull after two examples, and that the Myleene Klass bit was the most convincing sketch but could've been done by anyone and that it is lazy to mock celebs, especially obvious ones. She thought Barrowman came across well but that the idea was hackneyed. My Mum is not allowed on forums because she will rip the internet to shreds :D