10 O'Clock Live - Series 2 Page 11

Quote: dennispennis123 @ April 5 2012, 3:27 AM BST

The ladder joke bombed so badly. I didn't think it was that bad!

I think the audience just got confused, and couldn't connect a ladder to being high. Also his "delivered by Domino's" gag lost me momentarily, because I think of dominoes as primarily being a game. In fact, his whole set seemed dodgy, the same old gags as always, but not performed so well.

Good to see Galloway on the show, and whatever his personal faults may be, he certainly can make the other parties look silly.

Quote: Nogget @ April 5 2012, 11:13 AM BST

Good to see Galloway on the show, and whatever his personal faults may be, he certainly can make the other parties look silly.

Well as demonstrated on 10 O'Clock Live, he is very good at manipulating an audience who buy into his 'cult of personality'.

As a political showman, he is up there with the best, but the amount of coverage given to his by-election win was surrounded by some of the most inflated hyperbole I've ever seen.

Independent candidate wins local election should have been the headline, instead the 'pundits' are decrying that it's the end of British politics as we know it.

It's pathetic to see the feeding frenzy of the media and politicians eating themselves once more.

Quote: Nogget @ April 5 2012, 11:13 AM BST

He makes himself look sillier though. He always gets in a few choice digs that get a cheer, but I did not detect a swell of support for him from the audience.

Quote: Aaron @ April 5 2012, 12:12 PM BST

He always gets in a few choice digs that get a cheer, but I did not detect a swell of support for him from the audience.

None of the other politicians got a cheer. I'm not sure if that is indictative of support for George or not.

Still can't believe the other politicians sank to his level so quickly, even the faceless Tory made a reference to Galloway's 'fourth marriage'.

But maybe I'm reading too much into a light hearted entertainment programme, after they showed the clip featuring Paxman earlier, if made me realise there is a huge gulf in style and expertise.

Quote: Aaron @ April 5 2012, 12:12 PM BST

He makes himself look sillier though.

I think he tends to get away with not looking silly. The whole 3 buttock thing was beyond lame, yet no-one seemed to care. Pretending to be a cat, and cosying up to Saddam, should have made him look sillier than a 3-buttocked arse, yet he got re-elected with a landslide.

Well there are other issues entirely, behind why he gets elected and how he does or doesn't look silly on television. That such a victorious politician did not serve a second term in Tower Hamlets is I think a particularly interesting point that hasn't been picked up on nearly enough.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 5 2012, 12:26 PM BST

But maybe I'm reading too much into a light hearted entertainment programme, after they showed the clip featuring Paxman earlier, if made me realise there is a huge gulf in style and expertise.

I thought that clip made Paxo look like an arse. His confrontational style has really had its day.

Quote: Nogget @ April 5 2012, 1:33 PM BST

I think he tends to get away with not looking silly.

That surprises me. I think he always makes himself look a right twat. Always very petty and smug, and making terrible attempts at jokes.

Quote: Tursiops @ April 5 2012, 1:40 PM BST

I thought that clip made Paxo look like an arse. His confrontational style has really had its day.

Yes it did; and he still ended up congratulating Galloway.

Pretty good tonight and it all flowed very well. A competent (if not exactly brilliant or controversial) end to the series.

Mitchell's debate on elitism was the highlight for me - funny, fast paced, informative and good points made by all.

Brooker's canned anus was hilarious.

Lauren showed off her kooky designer frock to full aplomb and didn't trip up this time - very risky considering the Michael Gove clip chosen.

Jimmy's Abu Hamza sketch was the only let down - he could have done so much more, both in terms of satire and hooked based amputation humour.

I still think this show has a long way to go and if they invest in some better writers and throw in more satire, it would be excellent.

I hope they don't go changing the line up or anything next series. I'm really enjoying it now.

I don't know, they could easily jettison Carr and Laverne in favour of Millican and Frankie Boyle.

What a show that would be!

Do the Carr sketches ever work? I mean, they're rarely actually bad, but I can't think of one any better than just 'ok'? I think it's his stand-up background hindering the delivery. The pause for the audience response and that bit of chuckling seems to slow everything down interminably. It's a shame, because there are some great jokes, but it doesn't feel - to me at least - like they're getting the deserved response.

Anyway. Yeah, good show tonight. First quarter, or third, or however many parts there are, was particularly funny. And indeed as RC said, some good points even from Billy Bragg in the debate.

I do hope Channel 4 are brave enough to commission a third run.

I love it, it's the one show that weekly I watch Live. But I agree, those Jimmy Carr Sketches are so forgettable and never make me, or anyone in the flat when we watch it, laugh. In my opinion they should when (and hopefully if) they come back replace the Carr sketch with a short video produced with someone who is up and coming in comedy. Like the The 11 O'Clock Show when they had Gervais and Sacha Baron Cohen and loads more now established comics do like short documentaries and play their early comedy characters.

I've really enjoyed this series, despite the many dud gags. Carr should stick to stand up and the table chat sequences. Maybe he could do some interviews like the Daily Show reporters, setting up absurd figures. Although being a famous stand up probably would put the mockers on that. I don't think the show has started fulfilling its potential yet but that could just be because it's not being the show I personally want it to be. Hope there's another series.