Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 27 2012, 3:20 PM GMT

I think for the first time, I was actually embarrassed watching something on TV.

In the early 2000s I got a bunch of friends all excited to watch a pilot of Charlie Brooker's 'TV Go Home'. I was a big fan of his website and Guardian column, so I got my mates round to share in this landmark piece of television. It was unmitigated shite.

Watching the cookery sketch in last night's episode left me with the same sense of embarrassment, even though this time I was sat blessedly alone.

There's been quite a few Channel 4 comedies I've sat through that have actually made me feel embarrassed for the programme makers.

Before Luxury Comedy, it was Campus. I kept thinking there was some poor editor sat in a room trying to put this abortion together whilst the director / stars were sat behind him laughing their heads off at their own brilliance.

I can't even remember the name of the second, it was called something like TV Crap and all I can remember is that it featured people carrying giant cardboard letters running around a field.

Luxury Comedy makes Campus look good. :(

Quote: sootyj @ January 27 2012, 3:21 PM GMT

Seri0usly AJG0 name one comedy show you genuinely hated.

Seriously sootyj, your insistence that my opinions are less distinguished than everyone else's is a bit weird. In six months of being on this forum, I have actually stated that I liked one other thing that wasn't seemingly well-received. This makes two. From the thousands and thousands of shows listed on this website.

I'm not going to list shows I hated because it's mean-spirited and unnecessary, but there are plenty, including some that have just won BCG awards that I thought were appalling.

I'm not going to conduct myself in a manner I'm uncomfortable with and start slagging work off but I will stick up for pieces that I liked when there's not much championing going on.

I'm not sure it was an embarrassing show because to me it was exactly what I expected a Noel Fielding sketch show to be. And the people who commissioned it surely couldn't have expected anything that different from what was broadcast... Whether it should have been commissioned is obviously a different matter.

Quote: AJGO @ January 27 2012, 3:50 PM GMT

Seriously sootyj, your insistence that my opinions are less distinguished than everyone else's is a bit weird. In six months of being on this forum, I have actually stated that I liked one other thing that wasn't seemingly well-received. This makes two. From the thousands and thousands of shows listed on this website.

I'm not going to list shows I hated because it's mean-spirited and unnecessary, but there are plenty, including some that have just won BCG awards that I thought were appalling.

I'm not going to conduct myself in a manner I'm uncomfortable with and start slagging work off but I will stick up for pieces that I liked when there's not much championing going on.

No just intrigued that you have such an upbeat view,.

Where as I am a perpetual sour bastard who hates everything. Mainly out of a vain sour view he could have written better.

This hatefilled vanity spreading to the belief he could have written Gray Anatomy, The Little Train that could and The Bible better than their authors.

My occaisonal questioning of positivity are the words of a mole waving it's fists at the sun, after accidentally surfacing in daylight hours,.

Quote: AJGO @ January 27 2012, 3:50 PM GMT

I'm not going to list shows I hated even though it's great fun

I hear you.

I quite like Noel Fieldings madcap mind. People say that he is zany for zany's sake but I really think there is genuine method to his madness.

I only saw a minute of Luxury Comedy. The bit where he had the drawing of Pele and they were trying to determine if it was a football or a saucer for the cup. I quite liked that idea.

I really must watch the full episode and see if it is as deplorably bad as people are saying it is.

He kept laughing at his jokes, on a recorded sketch show was that dleiberately ironic?

I'm fed up with with most of you, where's the zany British sense of humour we're meant to have?

(I know quite a lot of you live off the coast of the Med but still...)

Why be embarrassed anyway? It's only a TV programme and you didn't write it.

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 27 2012, 4:55 PM GMT

It's only a TV programme and you didn't write it.

You can't go around making statements like that Tim, it's like handing a loaded gun to a drunken monkey.

Quote: sootyj @ January 27 2012, 4:15 PM GMT

No just intrigued that you have such an upbeat view,.

Where as I am a perpetual sour bastard who hates everything. Mainly out of a vain sour view he could have written better.

This hatefilled vanity spreading to the belief he could have written Gray Anatomy, The Little Train that could and The Bible better than their authors.

My occaisonal questioning of positivity are the words of a mole waving it's fists at the sun, after accidentally surfacing in daylight hours,.

Soots, you're not daft, you know full well that that statement will be read as an accusation of idiot fangirlness akin to posing seductively on a privet bush outside Stewart Lee's house and refusing to put my clothes back on even when it starts snowing.
There's nothing wrong with being upbeat but as I've defended TWO shows ever, I don't get how you've interpreted that as a sign of consistently hysterical non-discriminatory joy.

Quote: AJGO @ January 27 2012, 5:23 PM GMT

There's nothing wrong with being upbeat but as I've defended TWO shows ever, I don't get how you've interpreted that as a sign of consistently hysterical non-discriminatory joy.

I'm a nice girl, right?! And anyone who says different is getting a kick in the jaffers! I'm looking at you sooty, you bloody nonce. Pirate

;) :P

Quote: AJGO @ January 27 2012, 5:23 PM GMT

Soots, you're not daft, you know full well that that statement will be read as an accusation of idiot fangirlness akin to posing seductively on a privet bush outside Stewart Lee's house and refusing to put my clothes back on even when it starts snowing.

Some times a cigar is just a cigar.

Now to try and find where those Jaffers are renegade seems to want me to kick??

It's the longest-smoking cigar I've ever seen. Incidentally, if you want to propose a pub with a nice smoking garden I'll happily bitch about TV I hate all evening :)

May take you up on that offer...