Not Going Out - Series 5 Page 19

Disappointing news, but Lee Mack clearly has confidence that the show can go on - change is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm more than willing to give the next two series a chance.

Worth considering that tonight's episode is not necessarily Vine's last, as if Lee Mack has known about it for a while there could be one or two episodes as a handover period. I expect Lee would find a reason to keep Daisy in - Katy Wix is too good to lose even with Tim going.

It'll be interesting to see who they cast as a replacement. I'd like to throw Chris Ramsey, Sean Lock, Darren Boyd, Steve Edge and Jim Howick into a list of potential replacements, all of whom I think would have chemistry with Lee whilst not simply being a clone of the Lee/Tim dynamic.

Terrible news for the show and a big gamble by Tim Vine. I am a big fan of his work but before Not Going Out he had a track record of making mostly unsuccessful TV shows. He had moved from station to station without ever finding his home. Not Going Out has helped to increase the popularity of his live work and I doubt he will be as successful again.

Oh, this is the perfect opportunity for them to implement our idea for a WILTY sitcom. Bring David Mitchell in!

Quote: cwickham @ May 18 2012, 1:51 PM BST

Disappointing news, but Lee Mack clearly has confidence that the show can go on - change is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm more than willing to give the next two series a chance.

Worth considering that tonight's episode is not necessarily Vine's last, as if Lee Mack has known about it for a while there could be one or two episodes as a handover period. I expect Lee would find a reason to keep Daisy in - Katy Wix is too good to lose even with Tim going.

It'll be interesting to see who they cast as a replacement. I'd like to throw Chris Ramsey, Sean Lock, Darren Boyd, Steve Edge and Jim Howick into a list of potential replacements, all of whom I think would have chemistry with Lee whilst not simply being a clone of the Lee/Tim dynamic.

They would all be grape replacements for Tim Vine.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 1:56 PM BST

Oh, this is the perfect opportunity for them to implement our idea for a WILTY sitcom. Bring David Mitchell in!

Well, it's true that you have tried and tested chemistry there - but simply copying the double act they already have from another show? I can't see either of them going for that, to be honest.

Plus, if the broadcast schedule is similar to this year, there'd be a possibility of WILTY and NGO being very close together, if not on the same night again. Not sure the schedulers would like the same double act involved in two of its biggest comedies at the same time, it'll leave them open to stories from the gutter press about how the BBC aren't giving other comedy performers a chance.

Ha! Love it.

I think the show could still easily carry on without Tim, though I'd miss him. They could bring in a character who's supposed to be Lee's other best mate and then have a flashback sequence with the new character superimposed into the shots of old episodes. Well, I'd find it funny anyway...

Haha. Yes! It's like they knew we'd been having that conversation. It's very unlikely to happen, but that would be great.

It can still easily work without Tim, but he is a very important part of the dynamic which makes NGO so great. It would leave Lee as the only original cast member- I wonder what they do to them all?!

Quote: Lindyloop @ May 18 2012, 2:19 PM BST

Haha. Yes! It's like they knew we'd been having that conversation. It's very unlikely to happen, but that would be great.

It can still easily work without Tim, but he is a very important part of the dynamic which makes NGO so great. It would leave Lee as the only original cast member- I wonder what they do to them all?!

They're in a store cupboard at Avalon.

A real shame but a double-edged sword. Hopefully means Katy Wix will bugger off now!

Not sure it'll work without Tim Vine. Not only does he have great chemistry with Lee Mack but the characters having been friends for so long is very important to the dynamic. Just don't see it working with a new friend or family member.

Stewart Francis was in an early episode. I like him, he could come in permanently. Hopefully won't mean more of Bobby Ball.

Has Lee's character ever mentioned having a brother or anything?

Quote: cwickham @ May 18 2012, 1:51 PM BST

Sean Lock

This would be great, it would also change the dynamic of the show as well. He would be a Tim replacement but it wouldn't be like for like.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 3:25 PM BST

Has Lee's character ever mentioned having a brother or anything?

He did once. He said he was adopted by a Chinese family!

Maybe there doesn't need to be a Tim replacement? Just have Lucy as his confidant.

But I don't get why Tim's leaving. How long does it take to make six episodes? Two months, if that? Plenty of time to do other things. Lee manages to do Would I Lie to You and tour.

I suppose he's just ready to move on/bored of it.

Quote: Dave @ May 18 2012, 3:34 PM BST

Maybe there doesn't need to be a Tim replacement? Just have Lucy as his confidant.

But I don't get why Tim's leaving. How long does it take to make six episodes? Two months, if that? Plenty of time to do other things. Lee manages to do Would I Lie to You and tour.

Exactly.. I couldn't agree more. There may not even be a 'Tim' substitute at all, and that's even if this news turns out to be true, which I'm still a little sceptical of.

I can't really see the logic in Tim Vine leaving, he's onto a real winner with this show. Increases his profile, popularity and bank balance all at once. And besides, I wouldn't have thought it was too much of a full time commitment either.