Not Going Out - Series 5 Page 21

Quote: Lindyloop @ May 19 2012, 8:39 PM BST

Play.com

Ah okay, served me right for using the tax dodgers, I suppose.

Well, with Tim gone, here's the chance for his cousin David Mitchell to show up! Laughing out loud Tim and Lee were a good team but Tim's character didn't really gel and he never got the chance to do what he's brilliant at - pun-based humour with an absurdist slant.

Apart from that, the episode had its moments but also major flaws. It's another one of those farces which could have been solved in an inkling if Lucy had told Daisy she'd got hold of the wrong tape and they'd bring the right tape over straightaway. And it also was full of moments which were patently 'untrue' - the reaction to the break-in, the communal watching of the tape (no one would EVER do that with their parents, and certainly not keep watching till the end), the relentless quipping for quipping's sake in difficult situations... I just realised watching this episode that Lucy is actually very close to Lee in her register of comedy. She's also turning just about every sentence into a joke or pun (let's get mashed).

Shame they didn't really sleep together (or started to and fell asleep before naughty things could occur), and that there wasn't any growing closer or curiosity about what it would have been like to make the beast with two backs between Lee and Lucy. As so often in this show, good and disappointing go hand in hand. I wish Lee would leave the stale old sitcom formula plots behind, or do something really new with them.

Just caught up with the latest episode, it was brilliant.

Lucy played the best drunk I have ever seen on TV. I thought this last episode was very good for this series.
Only down comment is that they should have never re-cast Lucy and Tim's father with a new actor. I would have preferred losing the character altogether.

I didn't even notice!
Oops.

Quote: Stuart Pickles @ May 21 2012, 6:15 PM BST

Lucy played the best drunk I have ever seen on TV.

See looked and sounded more like stroke victim than a drunk person to me.

Just in case there are any Lee Mack obsessives on here, he was on Danny Baker's Five Live show on Saturday morning. Probably on iPlayer. Contrary to BCG reports only one more series has been commissioned at present.

Quote: Badge @ May 21 2012, 8:07 PM BST

Just in case there are any Lee Mack obsessives on here, he was on Danny Baker's Five Live show on Saturday morning. Probably on iPlayer. Contrary to BCG reports only one more series has been commissioned at present.

Lee Mack obsessives? Here? *shifty eyes*

In response to the earlier comments; I thought Sally Bretton played drunk Lucy very well, I have a friend who acts and sounds exactly like that when she's really drunk. In general I think, apart from maybe the first episode when I think all the acting was generally a bit more shabby than usual, Sally's been excellent this series. And on a more shallow note, I thought she really pulled off the messy drunk/hungover look really quite well.

I think I preferred her drunk, actually!

Quote: zooo @ May 21 2012, 9:03 PM BST

I think I preferred her drunk, actually!

Acting-wise or looks-wise?

She was just more fun. :)

Ah, yeah, I get you. She certainly seemed like quite an entertaining drunk.

Quote: Stuart Pickles @ May 21 2012, 6:15 PM BST

Only down comment is that they should have never re-cast Lucy and Tim's father with a new actor.

Why? He's a minor character. Geoffrey Whitehead has done it for 2 series and I've never seen anyone complaining.

I thought this series was very enjoyable. Couple of not-so-hot episodes but always laughed a lot. I enjoyed the final episode lots and it had me and wifey laughing a lot together, which almost never happens.

Dan

Quote: tiger_rick @ May 18 2012, 3:26 PM BST

He did once. He said he was adopted by a Chinese family!

Benedict Wong! MEDIBOT!