The Big Bang Theory Page 9

Cracking episode this week - very funny and really advanced the 'plot'. I say the 'plot' as there seems to be a blueprint now for any long running couples show established by Friends.

I still miss a lot of the nerdy quirkiness of the earlier series and have serious philosophical issues with the underlying message of 'conformity equals happiness' pervading the show, but it's still one of my favourite sitcoms.

Thank goodness for Sheldon, otherwise this would be just another carbon copy relationship comedy.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 5 2012, 1:56 PM BST

I have serious philosophical issues with the underlying message of 'conformity equals happiness' pervading the show

Howso?

Cracking episode this week - very funny and really advanced the 'plot'. I say the 'plot' as there seems to be a blueprint now for any long running couples show established by Friends.
Which episode? Give me a title please. Ta. (It's either the spock one or the Hawking one I think, but I don't watch them straight away, so I don't know what week we're in.

I would imagine, from the date of the post, that it was The Stag Convergence.

I still miss a lot of the nerdy quirkiness of the earlier series and have serious philosophical issues with the underlying message of 'conformity equals happiness' pervading the show, but it's still one of my favourite sitcoms.

Thank goodness for Sheldon, otherwise this would be just another carbon copy relationship comedy.

And yes, I see the Friends similarity now, it's not good news seeing as they have just ordered 3 new series, maening that by the end of it, what really made the show great, the humour of the group of four nerds against the alpha male 'normality' around them and more than anything, Sheldon Cooper, may be but a distant memory and a small part of the story.

I think it's gone way too quickly into 'blueprint Friends' territory, and for what reason? Political correctness and the pressure of commercial sponsors wanting to target more females. It's very sad how the Americans seem so intent on ruining all their good sitcoms by pandering to these two 'evils'. I watched two 1st series episodes for the first time the other night and thought they were pretty much perfect!

Ah, Stag Convergeance is it, ta. I'll look at my box later to see if it's recorded then.

I think it's still one of the funniest sitcoms on at the moment. Thank f**k we have more series coming!

Of course it's nice sometimes to have an episode just about the four original male characters. I agreed with Raj when for once he wanted to just hang out with them and not the women. But I wouldn't want Penny, Bernadette and Amy to leave. I think they all add to the funny. (Although I guess I wouldn't miss Bernadette as much as the other two if she was in it a bit less.)

I wish Leslie Winkle would be in it more. She was great.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 7 2012, 12:20 PM BST

Ah, Stag Convergeance is it, ta. I'll look at my box later to see if it's recorded then.

I don't think it's been shown in the UK yet.

The most recent one on UK TV was the one where they have a Star Wars sleepover.
Or was it Star Trek. Bugger.

I think it was the Spock one.

The Pilot is on at 2pm today.

They all have hilariously bad hair in the pilot/season 1. Especially Raj.

Want!

http://www.cbsstore.com/the-big-bang-theory/index.php?v=cbs-thebigbangtheory&ecid=SMM-CBS-00160&pa=SMM-CBS-00160

So just caught the season finale featuring the big wedding and it really was a total Friends and Frasier rip off.*

SPOILER ALERT! DANGER! DANGER!

*Not only did they decide to do the impromptu wedding from Friends, they also held it on a rooftop like Frasier.

They pumped up the schmaltz to 11 and my fears about it becoming a 'blueprint' show were realised.

It also seems as if the writers can't find anything for Raj to do. There are only so many Indian jokes you can do before it becomes tirelessly racist and unfunnily boring. It's bizarre mainly because they go to other great lengths - especially regarding Howard and Bernadette's nuptials to avoid any kind of racial / religious / cultural offence.

As much as I like the female characters, with Amy Farah Fowler being the most interesting, they are detracting a bit from the funny. The Stag Convergence episode, featuring all the male geeks was hilarious and reminded me of what the show used to be like.

It is still a fantastically written show and they have produced a kagillion episodes and they can't all be gold, but the 'blueprint' has got to be re-written otherwise expect it to go the Friends route - trial separations, characters shagging each other's partners, a pregnancy and then everyone getting together in the hospital for the birth, before everyone is paired off and forced to go their separate ways during the predictably teary finale.

I just smallened it for you, just in case.

(And managed to do so without reading any of it. Go me!)

I agree with you Renegade.

SPOILERS.

Everything that made the show different has been sacrificed for the will they won't they bullshit of Leonard/Penny and Sheldon/Amy. It's almost as if the writers just gave up writing anything to do with physics because it's easier to just write about relationships.

The problem is, the demographic of the show has changed a lot since the beginning, and the viewing figures are great regardless of how bad the episodes are now.

I just get angry watching it now. The first episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFS1F-3XVtk) they introduce the show talking about photons, and the last episode shown Raj is gushing over planning their wedding. Ughhhhhhh!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 15 2012, 4:56 PM BST

So just caught the season finale featuring the big wedding and it really was a total Friends and Frasier rip off.*

SPOILER ALERT! DANGER! DANGER!

*Not only did they decide to do the impromptu wedding from Friends, they also held it on a rooftop like Frasier.

They pumped up the schmaltz to 11 and my fears about it becoming a 'blueprint' show were realised.

It also seems as if the writers can't find anything for Raj to do. There are only so many Indian jokes you can do before it becomes tirelessly racist and unfunnily boring. It's bizarre mainly because they go to other great lengths - especially regarding Howard and Bernadette's nuptials to avoid any kind of racial / religious / cultural offence.

As much as I like the female characters, with Amy Farah Fowler being the most interesting, they are detracting a bit from the funny. The Stag Convergence episode, featuring all the male geeks was hilarious and reminded me of what the show used to be like.

It is still a fantastically written show and they have produced a kagillion episodes and they can't all be gold, but the 'blueprint' has got to be re-written otherwise expect it to go the Friends route - trial separations, characters shagging each other's partners, a pregnancy and then everyone getting together in the hospital for the birth, before everyone is paired off and forced to go their separate ways during the predictably teary finale.

They never had a roof wedding in 'Frasier' - Niles and Daphne had an impromptu date up there, so not quite a rip-off.