The Big Bang Theory Page 8

Well I watched it but am a bit confused. It said brand new series, yet the two they showed, I saw a month or two back. ? Extremely good episodes, which means the show's in fine health, but how can it be brand new if it's already aired? These E channels do confuse me a bit because I don't know if I'm watching the latest stuff or just repeats. Am I to take it then that last night's TBBT night was first showed on C4 a month or two back and that's what I saw then?

Anyway, apart from the two great new or not new episodes, I thought the short inside look at the making of it was very so-so. The technical bits were interesting, like the making of the sets and the last minute rewrites, but there was nowhere near enough depth in them. The interviews were okay, a bit choppy again with not enough depth. It was all a bit cursory, like a Hello magazine article, I felt. Fans of the show want a bit more than that, surely.

Chuck Lorre, is it, was also a bit unforthcoming, unless it's E4's fault for editing him right down.? You felt he had a lot to tell but somehow didn't get to or want to say it. What he did say seemed a little on the smug and not quite true side to me, claiming it was based on co-creator Prady's time spent working with a bunch of computer nerds with poor life skills. As if he's the one who discovered the connection!

Nerds and their ways have been known about for centuries! That was a bit rich I thought, and no mention of the many previous films depicting hapless technonerds, or indeed the British sitcom which went to air at least a year before they did. Or of the reason he chose scientists instead of ITists. I assume now it was to distance themselves from any reference to C4's earlier technonerd sitcom. These American producers are way too corporate minded for my liking, and he was very typical of their sort.

And I still don't how it's written, by him and Prady or by a team, which is what I was most interested in. They hardly touched on scripts at all, which is the show's great strength. :| A missed opportunity, but not sure how much was denied by secretive studio bosses!

Well those two episodes were new to me!

I don't think they could have been shown on Channel 4 or E4 before.

Yeah seen both in last month or so, remember Carpark going on about the Fun For Flags scene? Which is indeed very good.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 6 2012, 2:37 PM BST

And I still don't how it's written, by him and Prady or by a team, which is what I was most interested in. They hardly touched on scripts at all, which is the show's great strength. :|

There will be a team. Twenty-odd episodes? There will be a team of writers. There will be a showrunner and a team of writers; ideas are pitched and put together, then one writer is chosen to work up a full episode, which is then taken back into the writers room to 'punch up'. So you might just see one writers name for an episode in the credits, but several other will have been involved.

Quote: zooo @ April 6 2012, 2:52 PM BST

Well those two episodes were new to me!

I don't think they could have been shown on Channel 4 or E4 before.

I don't think so, no; I've never seen either before. Obviously they're not new as in this is the first time they've been shown anywhere, they're ahead of us in America.

? Carpark? Help.

Here's a list of writers:

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/crewsearch/joblist/W

Carpark doesn't watch anything he hasn't downloaded illegally. ;)

Blimey O' Riley! Wonder if they take from unknowns over here? Got a sack of nerdcom material which is now redundant, thanks to them.

I'm watching them again to see how much I saw before.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 6 2012, 3:45 PM BST

Blimey O' Riley! Wonder if they take from unknowns over here? Got a sack of nerdcom material which is now redundant, thanks to them.

They probably don't all write on the show at the same time; five season in some will have gone, some will have come in.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 6 2012, 3:22 PM BST

Yeah seen both in last month or so, remember Carpark going on about the Fun For Flags scene? Which is indeed very good.

He spoke of that within days of it premiering in the US.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 5 2012, 11:08 AM BST

Huh? Talk of 'lazy writing' and losing its edge etc. just do not make any sense to me. But then I do not know which order I'm watching these in, as I pressed the info button the other day and it said an episode from series 2. Then a week later I watched one and it said the 100th episode is coming up. So I don't know what's going on there unless I'm watching it on different channels without realising it - quite possible!

This is why I don't watch American sitcoms on British television. They're often shifted around and rarely broadcast in a clear order without repeats interrupting and confusing the run.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 15 2012, 12:09 AM GMT

Sheldon's favourite Chelsea player?

Bosingwa.

Ah, now the trouble here Tony, is that this joke requires a cross between Big Bang Theory fans and followers of football, Chelsea FC specifically. Not the largest intersection on the Venn of life, and even less so amongst BCG-ers! :D

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ March 14 2012, 2:15 PM GMT

It's fallen into classic Chuck Lorre territory, lazy writing.

I don't think that you're watching the same show any longer.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 6 2012, 2:37 PM BST

I thought the short inside look at the making of it was very so-so. The technical bits were interesting, like the making of the sets and the last minute rewrites, but there was nowhere near enough depth in them. The interviews were okay, a bit choppy again with not enough depth. It was all a bit cursory, like a Hello magazine article, I felt. Fans of the show want a bit more than that, surely.

This - partly.

I agree it would have been nice to have far more in-depth discussion with the cast and crew, but then it was clear from the outset that these were light programmes for the casual fans of the show, rather than hardcore comedy geeks, and even less so for writers.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 27 2012, 5:05 PM GMT

Just caught the latest episode online and it's a cracker. Sheldon Cooper's Fun With Flags made me laugh out loud.

? How? And more to the point how did I? Unless it was a YouTube link. ?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 6 2012, 4:41 PM BST

? How?

Online. Torrents, probably. You can download anything moments after broadcast as people upload them to the internet.

But not me, I struggle turning on my five year old TV.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 6 2012, 4:41 PM BST

? How? And more to the point how did I? Unless it was a YouTube link. ?

I put up a You Tube link to the Fun With Flags scene right here on the BCG. You might have just watched that bit and convinced yourself that you'd seen the whole episode.

(throws up loads of Sherlock style graphics on the screen to show how I confused Alfred J Kipper)

Laughing out loud