How TV Ruined Your Life Page 15

I could have sworn the series had ended. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Quote: chipolata @ February 22 2011, 5:09 PM GMT

Just realised this isn't on tonight. Effing cricket. Angry

Good grief, get with it Chip! It's not as though it was a late alteration!

My problem (off topic) is that BBC2 have had an hour of cricket highlights every night this week - every night except one, that is. And that was the game England played, when they squeezed it into an insufficient half hour at 10pm. I want an hour! I don't care when it is!

Give us proper highlights every night at 11.20, BBC! And if you do so you don't annoy Brooker fans! As it is you've annoyed everyone!

Atleast football has the decency to be aired at times that don't affect more popular shows.

Doesn't football interfere with Coronation Street?
I hear that's pretty popular.

Rarely, football is normally a midday event.
Competing for slots with Bargain Hunt and Cash In The Attic. :P

Enjoyable episode. Although Blake's 7 was one of the greatest British sci-fi shows ever, ironically because it was as negative and grumbly as Brooker himself.

Wo-Gan! Laughing out loud

Watched most of these but I fear that I will have to be the Siren voice on what seems to be an otherwise very positive thread.

Didn't really care for them. The faux ranting, the Angry of Tonbridge Wellsness and the petulant tone of Brooker's delivery just got on my tits. Sorry, but there you have it.

Couldn't he just have been a little nicer and less (angry) about it all? ;)

This series seemed to be more like summing up things he'd explored in bits and bobs elsewhere for a wider audience who won't have watched him on BBC Four, rather than fresh Brooker. It was okay, but I'd rather he'd just put Screenwipe on Two and carried on with fresh observations. Maybe he will now this is out the way.

I enjoyed the last one and most of the series. Even though it was a bit "best of xxxxwipe" (revised repeat) with some new material thrown in.

David Mitchell should really do that documentary.

Quote: Badge @ March 8 2011, 10:49 PM GMT

David Mitchell should really do that documentary.

His face really made me laugh. :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 8 2011, 10:46 PM GMT

Errr

Erm... it was intended to be ironic. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 8 2011, 10:12 PM GMT

Wo-Gan! Laughing out loud

That was hilarious. Spoiled somewhat by its ending, but still by far the funniest little sketch of the series - matched by what I felt was the best episode of the lot; in fact the only one I'd particularly rate at all. There was still a real lack of the kind of witty bite and dissection that we've seen in *wipe, but it didn't feel so much like it needed it this time. So with some niggles, a wholly more rounded and satisfying episode.

Still, I wouldn't like to see another series - just more Screenwipe please.

He did go over a lot of his old Screenwipe favourites like the Deadliest Assassins or whatever it's called, and let's face it, the episode was more a sort of Newswipe by another name, but I will still rather watch a half hour of Brooker than most people on telly. A very good series, and yes more Screenwipe please Mr Brooker.

Plus, the Apaches. That film is ingrained in my mind, seared irrevocably into the core of my cerebral cortex from some Wednesday morning assembly over thirty years ago. It was like watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre when you are seven only it's set just down the road and is as far as you can tell real. I grew up in rural Essex so our teachers were more than keen to terrify us into never straying within five miles of a farm because inevitably we would all die. No wonder they can't find young people willing to pursue a career in agriculture. A whole generation of children shudder at the merest mention of a silage pit, they weep and cringe at the faintest whiff of a cow. BECAUSE WE WOULD ALL DIE. One by one, in a variety of amusing yet really horrific ways. I always hoped that if my friends and I found ourselves on a farm that we would have had the sense to leave after perhaps the first couple of grisly bloody deaths. But no we would have stayed, stayed because we were compelled to, because it was our fate and BECAUSE WE WOULD ALL DIEEEEEEE!!!!!! AAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

There was also one about dying in different ways on or near a railway line. My childhood was largely spent being terrified by Public Information Films.

I must hunt down a copy of Apaches to watch. I don't remember seeing that one.