That Friday Quiz Page 121

8. Stadium

17. Gabriel

2 none now lol. Or all in four years time!

I always get to these too late and half of them have been answered. I can't then be arsed to work out which ones haven't.

Get back to your jumbo sun crossword then! :)

Steve have you got a quiz for us this week?

have u got one for today

No - it's Saturday.

i know but we did'nt have one yesterday.

Friday Quiz June 20th 2014
1. Which technology company could be said to have set the world alight this week? Amazon with the announcement of their new Fire smartphone.
2. What is the theoretical minimum number of points a team needs to progress to stage 2 of the World Cup finals? How many teams in the current competition can still theoretically achieve this minimum and progress? 2 points. Any of 6 teams (Iran, Nigeria, Bosnia, Russia, South Korea and Algeria) could still do this.
3. What term, meaning an 'entrance hall' in Latin, is used for the two upper cavities of the heart? Atrium
4. Name the artist. Degas

5. Which acid can build up in the muscles during strenuous exercise, causing cramp-like pains? Lactic acid
6. In The Simpsons, what is the name of the nearby town with which Springfield has a great rivalry in all things? Shelbyville
7. In which Dickens' novel is the eponymous establishment taken over by an evil dwarf ? The Old Curiosity Shop
8. What term for a measure of length in the Ancient World is now applied to many sporting venues? Stadium
9. What links these pictures? Irish counties (Kerry; Galway)

10. Name the group Dr and The Medics

11. What name, from the Latin for 'seaweed, is given to the simple plant-like organisms, that typically lack true root stems, roots and leaves? Algae
12. Which comedy duo starred in a 1930s film about two delivery men attempting to take a piano up a flight of stairs to a house? Laurel & Hardy
13. Who is this? Hilary Swank
14. What name is given to the method of sending messages using two flags, held in different positions by a signalman, to represent individual letters or numbers? Semaphore
15. In which film does Michael Palin slay the dragon that is menacing a medieval kingdom? Jabberwocky
16. Which Earl gave his name to a mechanical model of the solar system that was designed to show the motion of the planets around the sun? Orrery
17. According to Islamic tradition, which angel dictated the Koran to the prophet Muhammad? Jibril / Gabriel
18. You have a traditional fizzy pop bottle, shaped so that the bottom three-quarters is a perfect cylinder and the top quarter is an irregular shape. The bottle is about half-full with limeade. Using only a ruler, how can you work out exactly what percentage of the bottle is filled? Measure the height of the liquid in the bottle with the bottle upright. Then turn it upside-down and measure the amount of space: the distance from the top of the liquid to the bottom of the bottle. You can now divide the height of the liquid by the sum of the two heights to get the volume percent of the liquid in the bottle.

19. What links these pictures: All have played famous Rose's (Rose Weasley in Harry Potter; Gypsy Rose Lee; Rose in Titanic; Rose in Upstairs Downstairs; Rose in The Golden Girls)

20. Unscramble the two words: E F G G I I M N O O R S W WIGGINS & FROOME

8. Balboa

12. Wallstreet

4. Arcade Fire

19. Grey

3. Mayo (!)

11. Wikipedia

5 Coniferous