That Friday Quiz Page 120

7. Emoticon

12. Jainism

15. Taiwan

Hello Steve have you a quiz for 2morro?

Have we Got one for today steve

Steve Have You got one for today?

George, you are coming over as an excited puppy.

I'll check where we are up to & post the next quiz in a minute.
I'll need a post in between from somebody in order to put it up

Friday Quiz June 13th 2014
1. Who followed Claudinha out of the ball? Jennifer Lopez & Pitbull at the World Cup Opening Ceremony last night. (1/2 point for one or the other)
2. Which footballer at the World Cup finals has the highest weekly wage? Wayne Rooney
3. What is the name of the headland at the northwest extremity of Scotland, one of the few British place names with the prefix 'Cape'? Cape Wrath
4. Name the game. The Game of Life

5. In music, what is the general term for a song by a solo performer with instrumental accompaniment, such as one in an opera or oratorio? Aria
6. Which material, similar in composition to bone, but perforated by tiny canals for nerve fibres and blood capillaries, forms the bulk of a tooth? Dentine
7. What name is given to the representations, also known as 'smileys', used in emails to indicate the writer's feelings or intended tone? Emoticons
8. The dish made from fillet steak topped with truffles, mushrooms or pate and enclosed in a puff pastry case is named after which soldier and statesman? Duke of Wellington
9. What links these pictures? Badminton

10. Where is this extreme place? John O'Groats

11. Which places of popular entertainment were closed by the Puritan Parliament in the 1640s? Theatres
12. Which Indian religion, founded in the 6th century BC, lays particular stress on non-violence to any living things? Jainism
13. Who is this? Gisele Bundchen
14. In Greek mythology, what was the name of the king who fell in love with an ivory statue of his ideal woman, which was subsequently brought to life? Pygmalion
15. Which Asian island was historically known by a name that means 'beautiful' in Portuguese? Taiwan (formerly Formosa) (Will accept either)
16. Which fragrant white spring flower is used in France as a symbol of May Day? Lily of the Valley
17. A herd of reindeer was reintroduced into Britain in the 1950s in which Scottish mountain range? Cairngorms
18. In Kirkland, the currency is the Topi, which is made up of 100 Tupis. On my last trip I went into a bank and asked to withdraw a specific number of Topis and Tupis. X Topis and Y Tupis. The bank teller misheard me and accidentally gave me Y Topis and X Tupis. I didn't realise the mistake until I spent 20 Tupis on a large portion of chips. After spending the 20 Tupis, I counted my money and found I had exactly twice the amount of money I had initially asked to withdraw. Find X and Y. X=26 and Y=53 (Long answer below)

19. What links these pictures: Sister(s) (BEVERLY Knight; SCISSOR kick; SHAKESPEARE; SLEDGE)

20. Unscramble the two words: A A D G H L N O S S T V GOTHS & VANDALS

Q18 long answer:
As givenI wanted to withdraw 100X + Y Tupis.
But I got 100Y + X Tupis.
After spending 20 Tupis, I have double the amount I wanted to withdraw. Hence, the equation is
2 * (100X + Y) = 100Y + X - 20
200X + 2Y = 100Y +X - 20
199X - 98Y = -20
98Y - 199X = 20

Now, we have one equation; but there are 2 variables. We have to apply little bit of logic. We know that if we interchange X & Y, the amount gets doubled. So Y should be twice of X or one more than twice of X i.e. Y = 2X or Y = 2X+1

Case I : Y=2X
Solving two equations simultaneously
98Y - 199X = 20
Y - 2X = 0
We get X = - 20/3 & Y = - 40/2

Case II : Y=2X+1
Solving two equations simultaneously
98Y - 199X = 20
Y - 2X = 1
We get X = 26 & Y = 53

Now, it's obvious that I wanted to withdraw 26 Topis and 53 Tupis

5. Lactic acid
6. Shelybeville

15. Jabberwocky
14. Semaphore

3.. Atrium
12. Laurel & Hardy

13: Hillary Swank?

19. Rose

What's the bloody name of this band from question 10, JohnnyD. I know I've seen a cd by them in a store recently. I didn't know them so I looked them up on allmusic...but I've forgotten the name.
Thy caught my attention because the singer looks like a young Peter Gabriel. I think they're from the late 70s or early 80s.

EDIT:

Got it!!

9. Doctor & The Medics

...and they're from the mid 80s.

7.The Old Curiosity Shop

1.Apple