10 O'Clock Live - Series 1 Page 15

It's very pilot-y and the set is ghastly. Expect Brooker, Mitchell, and Carr to jump ship after the series finale.

Most of that wasn't satire - it was just left-leaning comics presenting their own opinions.

That's a bad thing? We need more left-leaning stuff on TV, because they're probably right. :P

Quote: Gerkuman @ January 29 2011, 12:00 AM GMT

That's a bad thing? We need more left-leaning stuff on TV, because they're probably right. :P

a) More? Sorry, do you believe that Karl Marx was a "bit right wing"? There's little but left-wing opinion expressed on TV.
b) It's not inherently a bad thing, but when they're selling the programme as some kind of holy-return-of-satire - yes, it is bad. Because it's not satire. It's just opinion. There's nothing satirical about opinion.
c) They're definitely not right. ;)

I hate it when they label anything like that. It always seems to set itself up for a fall. "It's the next Fawlty Towers!". F**k off.

I think it needs to stop leaning so heavily towards "political satire" and just let the hosts work to their own strengths, which in part it is trying to do but they're on rails at the moment and it doesn't feel like it has room to grow into something that develops naturally and becomes something really interesting, relevant and rememberablebleble.

Spot on. :)

I saw a moment of John Sargent reviewing this on The Review Show, and he said there's no real interaction between the presenters (apart from the slightly awkward table bits), it just goes clinically from one section to another section. They don't laugh/appreciate each others' jokes or say anything off script. I think he's right to an extent, but again possibly this will get better as they settle into it.

Oh, yeah. There's definitely more time for it to "bed in".

Quote: Aaron @ January 29 2011, 12:14 AM GMT

a) More? Sorry, do you believe that Karl Marx was a "bit right wing"? There's little but left-wing opinion expressed on TV.
b) It's not inherently a bad thing, but when they're selling the programme as some kind of holy-return-of-satire - yes, it is bad. Because it's not satire. It's just opinion. There's nothing satirical about opinion.
c) They're definitely not right. ;)

a) I'm centre-left. It's just that when you have, say, Kate Hopkins on Question time peddling her horrible ultra-right-wing views on Question Time the more I'm glad that left wing is the predominant view.

b) Yeah, the show really isn't that satirical at all. I agree on that.

c) I dunno, I thought Charlie Brooker made a lot of sense in his segments. Ditto David Mitchell's round table on those TITBO things.

Edit: Oh, that last one was a joke. I totally missed that Laughing out loud

Quote: Gerkuman @ January 29 2011, 2:07 AM GMT

a) I'm centre-left. It's just that when you have, say, Kate Hopkins on Question time peddling her horrible ultra-right-wing views on Question Time the more I'm glad that left wing is the predominant view.

I almost specified "except on the like of Question Time or other politics/debate shows"! Naturally they have people from across the spectrum on shows like that. But most presenters and personalities, when showing any kind of opinion of their own, are of the left.

As for Hopkins; she makes some good points on occasion, but it's a pity she is so overwhelmingly batshit nuts, and chooses such poor language to express herself thus losing the impact of any reasonable arguments. (Last night though, eesh.)

I haven't seen this. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 29 2011, 2:56 AM GMT

I haven't seen this. :)

:$ Prob' post horlicks for you Alfred.

I think it's worth returning to these comments everyone has made in a few episodes time and see if they still stand up. This is essentially an on-going pilot and it's going to take them a few weeks to get the right balance I think (as has been pointed out repeatedly, it took The Daily Show ages to find its feet and become a hit).

They're clearly already tweaking it here and there (that American anchorman style segment is already gone for example, replaced with the Serco bit which didn't quite work... but was a good angle to try)

They still haven't got it quite right, "we'll have to wrap it up there" was said with frustrating regularity for example; and there's not enough time for them to banter round the table at the end (quite a strong part of the show I thought)... but I know Channel 4 are reading all the tweets, and blogs and things so will be slowly heading it in the right direction.

Considering it's a live hour of telly, I think it's going pretty well so far already actually.

Someone else said this earlier I think - it would benefit alot more from being two lots of 30-45mins a week, rather than one chunk of NEWS NEWS NEWS every week.

I mean, the Daily Show is daily, isn't it? And it works, because if you only air once a week, you HAVE to focus on the weeks big story. What the daily show can do is focus on the big stories 2 or 3 days a week, and spend the other two deliberately over-analysing something small. And it works both ways.

Quote: Mark @ January 29 2011, 8:05 PM GMT

They're clearly already tweaking it here and there

I'd like them to tweak Carr out of it, he's not contributing much.

For those of us who can remember or have seen clips, '10 O'Clock Live' only goes to show how polished 'That Was The Week That Was' was.