Sherlock Page 75

Quote: zooo @ January 7 2013, 7:27 PM GMT

Did the one minute you watched have him in it then?

Actually, it did. Must have been the last episode of the first series. Just, terrible acting.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 7 2013, 7:25 PM GMT

Well, he didn't. He gave a shocking OTT performance. Worst acting I've seen since Simm did Doctor Who.

So now you did watch it? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

Quote: David Bussell @ January 7 2013, 7:31 PM GMT

So now you did watch it? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

I only needed to watch a minutes, and as I have already said, there were plenty clips on the BBC.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 7 2013, 7:40 PM GMT

I only needed to watch a minutes, and as I have already said, there were plenty clips on the BBC.

Then consider trying the first episode in which Moriarty doesn't make an appearance, that way you might find you enjoy the show enough to tolerate Moriarty when he does show up (I personally think he does a great job). There are precious few decent shows that come out of this country these days, so it's probably worth a look-in.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 7 2013, 7:47 PM GMT

Then consider trying the first episode in which Moriarty doesn't make an appearance, that way you might find you enjoy the show enough to tolerate Moriarty when he does show up (I personally think he does a great job). There are precious few decent shows that come out of this country these days, so it's probably worth a look-in.

God, no!
Its awful.
Jeremy Brett, every time.

Do you like any modern stuff, Charlie?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 7 2013, 10:27 PM GMT

God, no!

As you will.

Quote: chipolata @ January 7 2013, 10:31 PM GMT

Do you like any modern stuff, Charlie?

In all honesty, no!
British television has been going down hill for years. Joan Hickson is still the best Miss Marple, as is Jeremy Brett the best Sherlock Holmes. Tom Baker was the last best Doctor Who.
I watch a hell of a lot more modern US stuff. NCIS, Last Resort, Warehouse 13 and The Mentalist. I really enjoyed Town Called Eureka, but got cancelled (???).
I hate reality shows, and I'm not into Game of Thrones, The one with the vampires, or zombies, or Dexter.
But, British comedy and drama is in the doldrums. Merlin? DW? Sherlock? Miranda? Stella? No, thanks. Classic DW? Jeremy Brett? Fawlty Towers? YES!!!

Why have Tuna, when you can have Salmon?

Mini episode teaser is up for the new series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwntNANJCOE

Can't wait for the new series. Not long now.

Well, that was a pile of shite.

I'm not sure I can catch up with this yet.
I want to go & see the new Hobbit movie and that's my annual quota of watching Martin Freeman used up

I f**king loved that. Best thing I've seen for months.

Enjoyed it just hope that they don't think after all the teasing and two year wait, that's all the explaining we are going to get ;)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ 1st January 2014, 10:33 PM GMT

Well, that was a pile of shite.

Yep. The whole episode felt like an epilogue - a smug, self congratulatory, narcissistic epilogue. The first hour seemed to drag with very little actually happening, no mystery, no intrigue, just everyone reacting to 'Sherlock'.

The biggest problem was the over reliance on comic skits - there has to be a fine balance between comedy and drama otherwise you lose all sense of threat. I'm sure the fan girlies were chuckling in their knickers, but I began to find the self reverential nods and winks very tedious. The 'you can't fool me with that fake beard Sherlock' stuff in Watson's surgery was so overly tired, I lost the will to live.

The second biggest problem is that they went from the usual 'puzzle' format - ie. everything is there for the viewer to see and work out for themselves to the more annoying 'mystery' format, where information is deliberately withheld from the audience. E.g. Six carriages instead of seven - if we were allowed to see the footage properly, we could have worked that out, instead it was a reveal and the hidden London Underground station - it may not appear on maps, but I'm pretty sure it can be found on Wikipedia.

The direction wasn't as sharp or imaginative as the first and second series and the script was a bloated load of nothing. Just a random series of events with one liners. I'm not even going to get into the 'off button' on the bomb.

Disappointing.