The England Thread... Page 6

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 24 2010, 9:26 AM BST

One thing that the World Cup has reminded me of is what an absolutely awful dirge the English national anthem is. No wonder 'our' teams often find it hard to perform, they've probably been depressed listening to the bloody thing.

Also, being an athiest and a republican, I find the lyrics hard to take. The nature of 'God' saving the 'Queen' means absolute bugger all to me.

Still, I guess I'm in a minority here, right?

According to a National Anthem Expert on the radio earlier in the week, every countries national anthem sounds pretty similar. Some are a bit jantier, some a bit longer, but they're all much of a muchness.

Not that I want to poo on your well-argued theory or anything! Whistling nnocently

No. You aren't. :)

One of the highlights of the Six Nations is the anthems before France v Italy.

Quote: chipolata @ June 24 2010, 9:31 AM BST

Not that I want to poo on your well-argued theory or anything! Whistling nnocently

Bahhh. The American national anthem is much better. And the Germans'. Probably the lyrics I object to, I guess. Always have to mute it when it comes on.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 24 2010, 9:33 AM BST

No. You aren't. :)

Cheers OR!

What sort of lyrics do you want?

*sighs and waits for amusing avalanche of alternative England lyrics* Rolling eyes

Y'notice people never sing along with the Spanish anthem ?

Quote: chipolata @ June 24 2010, 9:37 AM BST

What sort of lyrics do you want?

*sighs and waits for amusing avalanche of alternative England lyrics* Rolling eyes

Dunno. I'll have an amusing think. Don't hold your breath.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 24 2010, 9:39 AM BST

Dunno. I'll have an amusing think. Don't hold your breath.

Try before the end of the week, then I can submit them as an amusing Newsjack sketch. And if Newsjack aren't interested I can always try Private Eye.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 24 2010, 9:38 AM BST

I'm sure they make up some bloody rude ones.

Quote: chipolata @ June 24 2010, 9:42 AM BST

Try before the end of the week, then I can submit them as an amusing Newsjack sketch. And if Newsjack aren't interested I can always try Private Eye.

Yeah, but then you'll have to do something in order for the national anthem to be topical and that. Too much effort.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 24 2010, 9:38 AM BST

That's the one without words, right?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 24 2010, 9:26 AM BST

Also, being an athiest and a republican, I find the lyrics hard to take. The nature of 'God' saving the 'Queen' means absolute bugger all to me.

Still, I guess I'm in a minority here, right?

I never get as far as hating it for the (good) reasons you give, because I think it's totally weird that every nation has to have it's own little song, and it's own little piece of coloured cloth (flag); yet not only do many of the songs sound the same (and some are indeed the very same tunes), the flags are often the same colours but arranged slightly differently. Where's the originality? Why not have a national GIF, or a national texture? Or how about a national smell? (yes Aaron, France already has one).

Quote: Nogget @ June 24 2010, 10:28 AM BST

I never get as far as hating it for the (good) reasons you give, because I think it's totally weird that every nation has to have it's own little song, and it's own little piece of coloured cloth (flag); yet not only do many of the songs sound the same (and some are indeed the very same tunes), the flags are often the same colours but arranged slightly differently. Where's the originality? Why not have a national GIF, or a national texture? Or how about a national smell? (yes Aaron, France already has one).

Like your thinking. National texture. Yes, I'm liking where this could go!

The Lichtenstein national anthem is exactly the same as England's God Save the Queen but with different lyrics. There's is called High Above the Young Rhine.

Quote: chipolata @ June 24 2010, 10:37 AM BST

The Lichtenstein national anthem is exactly the same as England's God Save the Queen but with different lyrics. There's is called High Above the Young Rhine.

I can now die complete.

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 24 2010, 10:43 AM BST

I can now die complete.

It can't be far off.

Isn't God Save the Queen the anthem of Great Britain not England?

Doesn't England need its own anthem like Flower of Scotland.

Quote: bigfella @ June 24 2010, 11:01 AM BST

Isn't God Save the Queen the anthem of Great Britain not England?

Doesn't England need its own anthem

Morrisey's Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now?