Things that piss you off Page 1,631

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2015, 11:07 PM GMT

It's Pagan and falling into the hands of ISIS.

What's wrong with Pagan?

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2015, 11:07 PM GMT

It's Pagan and falling into the hands of ISIS.

I mentioned something about Christmas at work the other day and a thick racist woman in my team said "That's one thing the Muslins can't take away from us, Christmas. Regardless of how much they want to."

I'd like to say I responded with "I think you're getting Muslims mixed up with the Grinch." but sadly I didn't think of this until about an hour later.

When you're so ridiculously far away from any sense of reality I don't think it counts as racism any more.

She did that thing that pointless people do of using 'Muslim' and 'Terrorist' like they are the same thing. Did people do this in the 80s with the I.R.A? I'm a little too young to remember.

I don't think so, but maybe I didn't move in circles where people would think like that.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 29th October 2015, 12:11 AM GMT

She did that thing that pointless people do of using 'Muslim' and 'Terrorist' like they are the same thing. Did people do this in the 80s with the I.R.A? I'm a little too young to remember.

In the 70's the IRA were tarring and feathering Protestant/Catholic couples and worse, but over time people realised it had little to do with Religion. But selling contraception in Ireland was also illegal back then. But that said and done, Catholicism in Ireland did not quiet have the grip that the Muslim faith has in strict sharia law countries. So I essence IS have managed to use Religion to justify their Psychopathic/ Sociopathic ways, far more convincingly, but that's just my perception from my safe European home. As for your ignorant racist friend, sounds like you might be able to convince her of all sorts of rubbish - have fun with that. ;)

I'd like to say I responded with "I think you're getting Muslims mixed up with the Grinch."

Laughing out loud

Quote: DaButt @ 28th October 2015, 7:07 PM GMT

The cranky old bastards who are too cheap/mean to hand out treats just turn all their lights off and huddle in the dark while everyone else has their fun.

It could be that they are not cranky old bastards. Perhaps they are elderly, vulnerable, disabled or unable to afford treats to hand out. It's a shame they feel the need to sit in the dark. Chances are their houses will egged if they leave the lights on but don't answer the door.

I thought the US tradition was you put a pumpkin in the window if you're playing?

Those Yanks have peculiar words for genitalia.

Quote: Loopey @ 30th October 2015, 11:46 AM GMT

It could be that they are not cranky old bastards. Perhaps they are elderly, vulnerable, disabled or unable to afford treats to hand out. It's a shame they feel the need to sit in the dark. Chances are their houses will egged if they leave the lights on but don't answer the door.

I know for a fact that they're just cranky old bastards. They're the kind of people who can't stand having kids in the neighborhood and complain at every opportunity. They aren't hiding in the dark because they're scared, they're hiding so that people will think nobody is home. I've never known anyone's house to be egged on Halloween, there's probably a greater chance of it being hit by lightning. This is a friendly neighborhood and most of the revelers are under 10 and accompanied by a parent or two.

Quote: sootyj @ 30th October 2015, 12:16 PM GMT

I thought the US tradition was you put a pumpkin in the window if you're playing?

Not that I've ever heard of. A lit porch light is sufficient n

http://www.today.com/parents/teal-pumpkins-highlight-allergy-awareness-halloween-t52361

Quote: sootyj @ 30th October 2015, 1:10 PM GMT

http://www.today.com/parents/teal-pumpkins-highlight-allergy-awareness-halloween-t52361

That's some new thing that someone's trying to make a thing. I doubt it'll catch on.

Quote: DaButt @ 30th October 2015, 12:57 PM GMT

I know for a fact that they're just cranky old bastards. They're the kind of people who can't stand having kids in the neighborhood and complain at every opportunity. They aren't hiding in the dark because they're scared, they're hiding so that people will think nobody is home. I've never known anyone's house to be egged on Halloween, there's probably a greater chance of it being hit by lightning. This is a friendly neighborhood and most of the revelers are under 10 and accompanied by a parent or two.

Fair enough, better that than my suggestions. Unfortunately they are based on personal experience.

The IRA did have plenty of Irish men in it. Still does I expect. I don't think it unnatural for people to make these connections. Not every Irish man was in the IRA (obvious to us all) but it certainly wasn't full of Germans..

Quote: Loopey @ 30th October 2015, 6:05 PM GMT

Fair enough, better that than my suggestions. Unfortunately they are based on personal experience.

My mum hides in the dark... She hates Halloween.

The kids where we grew up were not nice kids and they would egg your house. I think ours got egged a lot, even when mum gave sweets out. So she started hiding upstairs. She's quite vulnerable so the constant knocking wasn't something she wanted to partake in.

I'm not a big fan of elder kids doing trick or treating... Or those who knock on doors which are obviously not up for Halloween.

My gaff is right next door to the rear of a kebab shop, brothel and drug dealers peddle on the steps. The trick or treaters just don't come to our doors.. the Bailiff's are nervous and often turn back before knocking. Home Sweet Home.. :)