Things that piss you off Page 1,635

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th November 2015, 7:10 PM GMT

Nitpickers, hair splitters, quibblers, fault-finders and pedants.

Is that your Christmas present list?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th November 2015, 8:10 AM GMT

Chin up Herc, you've still got New Years Eve and the preceding days to look forward to.
I must be officially old because each time I hear these 'booms' I think 'how much did that cost'

Join the club. :D

Quote: Loopey @ 12th November 2015, 8:50 AM GMT

Is that your Christmas present list?

Bah Humbug. Angry

So British Gas called me today, I suspect over an unpaid bill - we didn't get that far. (and I paid it 3 days ago)
An Indian woman asked me if I was me.... I said yes, she then asked me to give my address.
I stopped her at this point and told her the bill had been paid 3 days ago.
She continued 'you must give me your address as a security check'

I repeated 'I paid the bill 3 days ago' (the amount and place of payment)
'Before we can go on, I must ask you some questions for security reasons'

'But you phoned me on my house phone..... who are you expecting - a consummate liar that tells everyone who calls that all bills are paid'?
I definitely heard a loud sigh - she was getting the hump because I wasn't playing.

Heaven help us that she should veer from the script.

I said again...'the bill is paid in full, I owe you nothing'

'please just answer a few security questions'

I'm afraid I ended the conversation with a 'osculate my gluteus maximus'

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th November 2015, 8:53 PM GMT

Every night there is someone letting off fireworks - for f**k's sake people give it a rest!! Angry

People love their pets, yet buy fireworks knowing that these will distress them.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th November 2015, 8:53 PM GMT

Every night there is someone letting off fireworks - for f**k's sake people give it a rest!! Angry

Never liked fireworks even as a child. It just feels like I'm stuck in the middle of a very camp war.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th November 2015, 2:05 PM GMT

So British Gas called me today, I suspect over an unpaid bill - we didn't get that far. (and I paid it 3 days ago)
An Indian woman asked me if I was me.... I said yes, she then asked me to give my address.
I stopped her at this point and told her the bill had been paid 3 days ago.
She continued 'you must give me your address as a security check'

I repeated 'I paid the bill 3 days ago' (the amount and place of payment)
'Before we can go on, I must ask you some questions for security reasons'

'But you phoned me on my house phone..... who are you expecting - a consummate liar that tells everyone who calls that all bills are paid'?
I definitely heard a loud sigh - she was getting the hump because I wasn't playing.

Heaven help us that she should veer from the script.

I said again...'the bill is paid in full, I owe you nothing'

'please just answer a few security questions'

I'm afraid I ended the conversation with a 'osculate my gluteus maximus'

It probably wasn't British Gas at all! Just a scammer trying too get your answers to typical security question.

You should say something like.

What is your name, I am going to ring off and call the phone number on my gas bill, who should I ask for?

Make sure 'she didn't hold the line after you 'ring off' i.e call say TIM (123) to ensure that she is not mimicing the phone dial tone.

Quote: billwill @ 12th November 2015, 7:27 PM GMT

It probably wasn't British Gas at all!

You never know - but she got nowt anyway.

I reckon she was actually from british gas - in fact this is something that also pisses me off - when someone from a utilities company or whatever calls you and then demands you do security questions.

Though actually, it pisses me off even more when I have to call them because they've f**ked up / given me a problem and I have to go through a call waiting system / a press 1 for whatever system and then I need to provide a load of nonsense account numbers that I don't know

You could just confuse them immediately by saying:

You called Me, so before I answer any questions you have to prove to me that you really are calling from British Gas... etc.

TV presenters who go way OTT when talking about a book/film/programme/guest and gush on with repeated superlatives, and this seems to be more noticeable on ITV for some reason.

Just happened to hear Gaby Roslin on some new Saturday show going on about this new Alan Bennett film Lady in a Van (?) - "it's a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant film with the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful Maggie Smith".

Stop it you silly woman! Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th November 2015, 10:55 AM GMT

TV presenters who go way OTT when talking about a book/film/programme/guest and gush on with repeated superlatives, and this seems to be more noticeable on ITV for some reason.

Just happened to hear Gaby Roslin on some new Saturday show going on about this new Alan Bennett film Lady in a Van (?) - "it's a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant film with the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful Maggie Smith".

Stop it you silly woman! Angry

Sounds like they were running short on a live show and the producer said in her earpiece "Gaby, we're running a few seconds short, two extra brilliants and three unnecessary wonderfuls should put us back on track."

I get that they have to be positive (even if the thing they're talking about isn't good) but I agree they go too overboard most of the time.

I think the best approach for a presenter when they're having to promote something shit is to pretend they haven't seen/read it yet, then they can remain neutral.

I haven't seen 'Lady in a Van'. Perhaps it is a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful film, film, film, film.

:D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th November 2015, 8:10 AM GMT

Chin up Herc, you've still got New Years Eve and the preceding days to look forward to.
I must be officially old because each time I hear these 'booms' I think 'how much did that cost'

You can't be that old if you haven't gone deaf yet.

Here we go again with yet another Yank trend - Black Friday. Leaflets, emails, paper/TV ads..........we're like a load of f**king sheep in this country, following anything from the States. Angry

Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa!