Do you GROW? Page 54

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd August 2022, 6:57 PM

Rooting powder Beaky. Dip them in rooting powder and they'll take.

Yes ?

Thanks guys!

So I dip them in rooting powder then directly into a pot of soil?

If the cuttings are a bit soft, it might also be worth putting plastic bag over the pot - especially if it's hot.

Also, make sure soil has good drainage (mix in grit) and plant the cuttings at the edge of the pot - you can put two or three in.
Also, reduce the amount of leaf, to take the strain of the new roots when they form.
For more info you can't go wrong with the RHS https://www.rhs.org.uk/propagation

Quote: beaky @ 24th August 2022, 9:04 AM

Thanks guys!

So I dip them in rooting powder then directly into a pot of soil?

Yes, exactly, which should stick to the moist cutting, and then follow Lazzard's advice. I used to sell a lot of rooting powder when I had my garden discount store in the 80s.

I've just been looking for some, and nobody has any. The garden shop is out of it. Will it be ok just to keep the cuttings in jars of water and hope for roots to appear?

Quote: beaky @ 24th August 2022, 12:57 PM

I've just been looking for some, and nobody has any. The garden shop is out of it. Will it be ok just to keep the cuttings in jars of water and hope for roots to appear?

Looking into it, a lot of people just stick them in a jar of water!
So rooting powder not absolutely necessary.
Cutting off most of the leafy growth - leaving couple of young leaves - still holds.
For the Bouganvillia, this looks fun - using a banana!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBvaaxBGByc Morning glory should take in water.
With all these you need a relatively woody cutting (not madly old, but not green and floppy either)
And it helps if you scrape off bark and cut to 45 degree angle (the end you're sticking the water)

Found my old 60's copy of the RHS Plant Propagation book for £2 in a local charity shop.
Ring-bound so great format for the greenhouse.
It's been re-published in glossier versions - not as handy as this one, though.

Quote: beaky @ 24th August 2022, 12:57 PM

Plenty here.................. and how to use videos

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=rooting+powder&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I was forever nicking cuttings from plants or bushes I liked the look of.
Botanical gardens were my favourites. A crafty snip and see if I can grow it on.
One I still have in the garden is called elephant ears. (Although I didn't know its name at the time)
It has big green leaves and looks like someone has splattered white paint all over it.
It doesn't flower very often but is beautiful when it does.
Ironically, two of my neighbors have asked me for cuttings.

My old man was a terror for that.
Always had a garden fork and a bucket in the back of the car, in case he saw a particularly good patch of primulas, snowdrops etc etc
Of course, he may just have being burying bodies in the woods.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 24th August 2022, 3:15 PM

I was forever nicking cuttings from plants or bushes I liked the look of.
Botanical gardens were my favourites. A crafty snip and see if I can grow it on.

When I was about 10 years old, I ripped some twigs off a laurel bush in the countryside (on the edge of the estate then!) and shoved about 6 of them in my dad's garden, to which he laughed at my naivety, BUT one of them took and grew into a large bush. Sheer fluke, as I had no idea what I was doing.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th August 2022, 3:22 PM

My old man was a terror for that.
Always had a garden fork and a bucket in the back of the car, in case he saw a particularly good patch of primulas, snowdrops etc etc

Very much against the law, but poorly policed.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th August 2022, 3:28 PM

Very much against the law, but poorly policed.

Not sure it was when I was a kid (when I remember him doing it).
Wouldn't have stopped him, though!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th August 2022, 3:46 PM

Not sure it was when I was a kid (when I remember him doing it).
Wouldn't have stopped him, though!

I remember our Sunday afternoon walks with my Mum and Dad c. 1949 in the primrose woods, close to RAF Upwood, where he was stationed and my Dad digging up huge clumps of natural primroses (my favourite flower to this day) to put in his garden.

And then when I was about 12 we used to walk miles to the bluebell woods to bring home huge armfuls of them for our Mums. I remember proudly walking up the garden path with my bounty.

Anyone grow raspberries?
Having a fabulous crop this year.
I was going to say something about blowing my own trumpet - but thought better of it.