Do you GROW? Page 49

Quote: Will Cam @ 21st June 2015, 6:59 PM BST

As to what the peas are, I have no idea! Mrs Will Cam does the planting, I do the man stuff!

Ditto.
Now feel the might of our trellis! Built entirely from reclaimed timber, courtesy of Freecycle, it stands an awesome 6' tall, and has to be tough enough to cope with several kilos of squashes, which should hopefully crack on and start growing up it sometime pretty soon.

Very nice Nogget. Never thought of growing squashes vertically. Is this a tried and tested technique?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st June 2015, 10:13 AM BST

And?.............80p for a hand of five at Tesco. ;)

They might be too ripe by the time I get them home....

Strumpet

Quote: Will Cam @ 21st June 2015, 11:22 PM BST

Very nice Nogget. Never thought of growing squashes vertically. Is this a tried and tested technique?

Apparently so, this is the first year we're trying it. Last year, they took over all the paths around the beds

Your pea trellis is lovely, so very neat. Mrs Cam must be very happy.

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd June 2015, 7:02 AM BST

Last year, they took over all the paths around the beds

They are buggers for that.
We had squashes that scrambled up a tree once - when they were ripe it looked like the tree was festooned with orange lanterns.

See you've got your kale un-netted.
Weren't they eaten alive by cabbage white caterpillars??
Or pecked to death by pigeons???

Quote: Strumpet @ 22nd June 2015, 5:07 AM BST

They might be too ripe by the time I get them home....

Strumpet

You can buy them quite green :) , but my "And" was do you get any fruit off them?

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd June 2015, 9:28 AM BST

They are buggers for that.
We had squashes that scrambled up a tree once - when they were ripe it looked like the tree was festooned with orange lanterns.

I'd like to see that.

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd June 2015, 9:28 AM BST

See you've got your kale un-netted.
Weren't they eaten alive by cabbage white caterpillars??
Or pecked to death by pigeons???

You'd have to ask Lady Nogget about that, but you can see the hoop onto which the netting had been attached. We do get cabbage whites, and pigeons; also all the usual suspects, white fly, aphids, black fly, mosaic virus and of course blight, which has wiped out all our tomatoes from the past three years. Also, this year the foxes are partial to our carrots, and have eaten the lot. You'd have to be very stupid to keep trying to grow stuff in the face of all the set-backs. We are that stupid.

I shall watch your squash growing with interest Nogget, please keep us updated.

Well I must say Will, I think Lady Nogget might have made a mistake this year, in choosing the shadiest bed for them. What's more, the trellis is oriented north/south, so all the plants on the north side will be even further shaded. I explained all this to her...

But would she listen?

Forget growing squashes.
You need to grow some balls, lad!
I am master of all he surveys in the vegetable garden.
She doesn't get a look in.

As to every other aspect of my life..ahem..well, yes...quite....
:$

Well the division of labour is that she does all the actual messing around in the dirt, weeding and planting things, while I do all the typical man stuff, like building it all, carting around bags of manure and pretending to enjoy endless vegetable-based cuisine, while really wanting a burger.

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd June 2015, 11:07 AM BST

Well the division of labour is that she does all the actual messing around in the dirt, weeding and planting things, while I do all the typical man stuff, like building it all, carting around bags of manure and pretending to enjoy endless vegetable-based cuisine, while really wanting a burger.

:D that's me that is.

Some of the gooseberries I have left after picking a load from these and another bush I've got up the allotment.

Quote: Will Cam @ 20th June 2015, 11:22 PM BST

After a very cold slow start this year my tomatoes in the greenhouse and my peas on my new pea frame (wot I built myself) have sprung in to life:

What a difference a month makes although a bastard pheasant has eaten the bottom foot of my peas the little twat.