Do you GROW? Page 48

Quote: sglen @ October 4 2013, 6:35 PM BST

Moved into a flat with balconies this year so bought me some bulbs and a bay tree. Bay tree keeps getting forgotten, my calla lily grew like crazy but never flowered and my Oriental Mona Lisa lily was really, really easy and impressive looking.

As someone who should not even be allowed to look after myself, nevermind any other living thing, I strongly recommend the Mona Lisa lilly. You can grow it indoors and out and it just does it all itself.

Do any of you greenfingered types know what was up with my Calla lily though? The leaves grew madly and it got massive at one point but I never even got a bulb. Not using any fertiliser or anything.

Have investigated out of interest. Think Mona Lisa is hardier re soil conditions whereas Calla might need a low nitrogen feed about monthly. Also try to give the latter more light. If it was originally forced it may not be on the normal seasonal pattern. Best to dig out the tuber this month and keep it in a cool, dark, place indoors for a few months. Then replant. The Mona Lisa is strong enough to stay outside during winter.

I got my hardy wallflowers today. Went to an expensive garden centre in the countryside but they were only £1.50 for a bunch of 15. Was thrilled at the price and have already planted them. I used to dislike them but have completely changed my mind about them in the last two years. They compliment the spring bulbs which are among my favourites, along with roses and rhododendrons.....and lots of other plants with colour!

Isn't it quite common for some plants to just not flower some years?

I'm not a professional gardener, though...

Quote: zooo @ October 4 2013, 7:18 PM BST

Isn't it quite common for some plants to just not flower some years?

I'm not a professional gardener, though...

Nor am I - at all - but that's totally right.

Peonies, for example, often require a wait of 2-3 years.

When's a good time to get a few seedlings going on the window sill?

Where's Topbanana when you need him

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 30th January 2014, 10:46 PM GMT

When's a good time to get a few seedlings going on the window sill?

Not yet, in general; or the lack of light will make them grow weak and spindly. What did you want to grow?

It's six months since the last post in January but I'm up and raring to go with my... Potato plants and Echiums! Only Echiums started on the windowsill this year, which is a pity, however we are potentially looking to move home this year so I didn't want to invest too heavily! Plenty to plan for next year in the new place of course. #seekinginspiration

Really hope everyone else has had a good start and that your plants are looking fantastic.

If I could only read one thread, it would surely be this one. Cannot wait to contribute to it with my flornary once again :)

After a very cold slow start this year my tomatoes in the greenhouse and my peas on my new pea frame (wot I built myself) have sprung in to life:

Quote: Lee @ 30th June 2014, 12:05 AM BST

If I could only read one thread, it would surely be this one. Cannot wait to contribute to it with my flornary once again :)

Oh yeah............can't stop posting can we. >_<

Well I have since acquired a new garden that is in the process of landscaping and currently not ready to grow things in but when the time comes, I'll be back in this thread posting pics of my plums, etc.

Quote: Lee @ 21st June 2015, 8:10 AM BST

I'll be back in this thread posting pics of my plums, etc.

Ooh, I say. :$

I have some banana trees in pots that I have been growing for a few years, I also have a few 4o'clock plants, they have stopped flowering at the moment so need to cut them back for next year.
And I also had 4 olives on my olive tree, I ma pretty good at growing chillies, potatoes and tomatoes.

Strumpet

Quote: Strumpet @ 21st June 2015, 9:27 AM BST

I have some banana trees in pots that I have been growing for a few years,
Strumpet

And?.............80p for a hand of five at Tesco. ;)

Quote: Will Cam @ 20th June 2015, 11:22 PM BST

Who knew there was such a thing as Pea Frame Envy?
Puts my ramshackle affair to shame.
What breed of pea is that you've got going there?

£20 worth of timber and chicken wire I already had. I was fed up last year with the bamboo we used blowing over.

As to what the peas are, I have no idea! Mrs Will Cam does the planting, I do the man stuff!