I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,821

I know, I know. I can see all the reasoning. But it was the gorilla's territory, the zoo had a duty of care to protect the animals in their care, and they failed by letting a small boy be able to make his way into the enclosure. The gorilla's fate was sealed by that.

If your toddler is the type to run off and do dangerous things, it would be sensible to have him on one of those leash things.
Do they have them in America?
That kid seems like exactly the type who needs one. (To protect others if not himself...)

What they needed was someone brave like Chris Pratt working there. He went into the enclosure and saved someone against three Velociraptors, without hurting them.

A five year old wouldn't / shouldn't need one of those, they're more for toddlers.
Some kids are more inclined than others to do a bolt. Mores the pity.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 1st June 2016, 7:03 PM BST

A five year old wouldn't / shouldn't need one of those, they're more for toddlers.

This child is 3.

How old was this flipping kid. I originally thought he was 7, Dabutt said 3, you 5, and I just read he's 4.

This is why I don't have kids. More trouble than they're worth...

I've read he was five?

In my newspaper she was 27.

Quote: zooo @ 1st June 2016, 7:07 PM BST

How old was this flipping kid. I originally thought he was 7, Dabutt said 3, you 5, and I just read he's 4.

All the stories I've read have said he was 3.

Then he was a mere baby. How the eff he was able to roam off like that I don't know.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 1st June 2016, 7:09 PM BST

In my newspaper she was 27.

Do they still give age as well as boob size in the Daily Star?... >_<

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 1st June 2016, 7:13 PM BST

Then he was a mere baby. How the eff he was able to roam off like that I don't know.

There was a 1-meter barrier with another meter of ground/brush on the other side. After that was the moat. It took about 5 seconds for him to cross over and fall into the moat. Blink of an eye.

I don't know. But I'm probably classed as an overprotective parent and I would have had mines hand caught at that age at all times in a crowded public place, the main concern would be them getting lost if separated.

Quote: zooo @ 1st June 2016, 7:07 PM BST

This is why I don't have kids. More trouble than they're worth...

Nieces and nephews are enough for me because I can leave at anytime :D

Quote: zooo @ 1st June 2016, 7:02 PM BST

What they needed was someone brave like Chris Pratt working there. He went into the enclosure and saved someone against three Velociraptors, without hurting them.

Cool.
I'd have had Ray Mears jump in and save the day, if we're talking fantasy heroes ;)

It also takes a split second for a small child to run into the road, regardless of age.

But I still manintain that this could have been avoided with more attention given to health and safety by the zoo. They should have looked at this as a possibility and if they couldn't address it with simple chicken wire or anything a toddler couldn't get past, they should have had a staff member there.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 1st June 2016, 8:06 PM BST

It also takes a split second for a small child to run into the road, regardless of age.

But I still manintain that this could have been avoided with more attention given to health and safety by the zoo. They should have looked at this as a possibility and if they couldn't address it with simple chicken wire or anything a toddler couldn't get past, they should have had a staff member there.

At first I thought whoever was looking after the boy should have been more carefull but then I realised this is 100% the fault of the zoo for not making sure the place was safe. A 3 year old can be mischevious but they can't do much more than crawl and climb so it sounds like it was an accident waiting to happen and enclosures in the UK are much more secure. There should be chicken wire at every nook and cranny.