I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,623

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 4th July 2014, 9:11 PM BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28163593

An eight year old, also a couple of victim's have waived their anonymity to give their testimonies....the man has done plenty wrong, I'm surprised anyone has to wonder what he did, it's all out there.

There are different levels of groping though. As I said, none of it is right, but clothes/sans clothes, genitalia or not...all of it makes a difference to the sentence. I don't see enough detail in that article to really work out what he did.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 4th July 2014, 9:31 PM BST

Justice must be seen to be served on a societal level. 5 years in jail - or possibly more as it's under review for undue leniency - is a death sentence for an 84 year old man with health problems.

The undue leniency thing is a bullshit. That sentence will not be increased. (Realise I could be eating my words in a few days).

I agree prison isn't a deterrent, most criminals have anti-social personalities, that's what drives them, they don't operate within the range of 'normal' society.

Quote: Jennie @ 4th July 2014, 9:40 PM BST

There are different levels of groping though. As I said, none of it is right, but clothes/sans clothes, genitalia or not...all of it makes a difference to the sentence. I don't see enough detail in that article to really work out what he did.

Not in that article but I read the victim's statements and it's the level of predatory behaviour that stands out and the sheer brazenness. He sexually assaulted his daughter's friend as his own daughter lay in the same room.

I believe the eight year old was touched in the genitals through clothes, I'd cut his balls right off.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 4th July 2014, 9:43 PM BST

I agree prison isn't a deterrent, most criminals have anti-social personalities, that's what drives them, they don't operate within the range of 'normal' society.

Totally untrue. 99.9% of criminals have a combination of the following:

1.)Background of verbal, physical or emotional abuse / poverty

2.)Poor problem solving skills / anger management issues

3.)Mental Health/drug/alcohol problems.

People behave in a way that makes sense to them. We do things because we get a pay off from it. Most of the criminals I have met are perfectly rational human beings.

The real psychos are very much in the minority.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 4th July 2014, 9:46 PM BST

Not in that article but I read the victim's statements and it's the level of predatory behaviour that stands out and the sheer brazenness. He sexually assaulted his daughter's friend as his own daughter lay in the same room.

I believe the eight year old was touched in the genitals through clothes, I'd cut his balls right off.

Not saying that isn't true, Shandy - but I haven't read any of that to make a judgement. I have looked, but not found.

Home secretaries love increasing sentences more than Keenan loves orange soda

Fortunately Theresa doesn't get a say (God help us all if she did!) It's the Attorney General.

Quote: Jennie @ 4th July 2014, 9:48 PM BST

Totally untrue. 99.9% of criminals have a combination of the following:

1.)Background of verbal, physical or emotional abuse / poverty

2.)Poor problem solving skills / anger management issues

People behave in a way that makes sense to them. We do things because we get a pay off from it. Most of the criminals I have met are perfectly rational human beings.

All true and valid. I'm talking about anti- social personalities, they can be covered by the above as well as having an ingrained slant towards all things off kilter.

Not saying that isn't true, Shandy - but I haven't read any of that to make a judgement. I have looked, but not found.

Can't remember where I read it all, but the details kind of stuck in my craw.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 4th July 2014, 9:54 PM BST

All true and valid. I'm talking about anti- social personalities, they can be covered by the above as well as having an ingrained slant towards all things off kilter.

Yeah I guess so. It is hard to see where one stops and the other one starts!

In other news.. 18 months for Andy Coulson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28160626

He must be royally pissed at Rebecca.

All the money that went on that prosecution - for a piddling little 18 months at the end.

I bet he'll be out in 6.

This.

Quote: Tursiops @ 4th July 2014, 9:38 PM BST

Not excusable, but if you go into moral fury about that there is stuff out there that will make your head explode

I think we need a bit of moral fury round here! Pleased

And they often stem from the poverty and/or the abuse. It is a pretty vicious circle.

There really isn't enough help in place for those with addictions / substance misuse problems, the very things which lie behind a lot of crime...but that's a whole other discussion.

I think the other thing is that you have to replace the drugs with something in their lives.

Take the average repeat offender - heroin user, no permanent home, no family, no job, no real friends. Generally as much of a useless bum as you get in our society. If there is an underclass, he's in it.

So he goes and nicks razors from Boots in order to fund his habit. Take away his heroin (which is a long, painful process for which real motivation is required) and what has he got?

He still can't get a job, often lacks the social skills to make real friends etc.

Is Rolf's sentence standard for the crime or does he get less due to his age?

I think Rolf should be gangbanged to death by rabid sexually depraved kangaroos

In other news the Tories ongoing destruction of the NHS continues ..

Thousands of patients face loss of GP surgery after two doctors quit blaming NHS reforms

GPs have quit leaving up to 6,000 patients without a doctors surgery
Dr Holly Hardy and Dr Karen Houghton can no longer cope with work load
Pair blame the Government's NHS reforms and cuts for crisis

Thousands of patients face being left without a doctor's surgery after two GPs suddenly quit, complaining about their workload.

Dr Holly Hardy and Dr Karen Houghton have handed in their resignations to NHS England, blaming the Government's NHS reforms and cutbacks.

But the move means 6,000 patients will be left without a GP unless the NHS finds replacements - something the Bristol, surgery has failed to do since January 2012.

If these shit for brains scumbags win again in May there won't be any free NHS before too long

They won't stop until they've screwed it into the ground like all the other services they've privatised

Please remember this in the polling booth next year

Otherwise it's your fault

Quote: Ben @ 4th July 2014, 10:08 PM BST

Is Rolf's sentence standard for the crime or does he get less due to his age?

It's difficult to tell really, as he is being sentenced under the law that was in force at the time of the offences - so obviously difficult for me to comment as most of my cases happened in the present day.

But he will get less due to his age - because whatever sentence the judge passes is a greater proportion of his life than that of a younger man. It won't be a substantial reduction though - he can hardly benefit from the fact it took so long for his crimes to come to light.

The judge is obliged to look at all circumstances of offence and offender when sentencing.

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th July 2014, 10:09 PM BST

Well, that is one view :D

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th July 2014, 10:09 PM BST

Strewth!