I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,519

I guess because RC engineers/is involved with all the arguments and they are his two mostest favourite things?

Quote: zooo @ 12th April 2014, 1:53 PM BST

I guess because RC engineers/is involved with all the arguments and they are his two mostest favourite things?

Amen sista

Quote: beaky @ 12th April 2014, 10:17 AM BST

Well well, RC defeated in argument at every turn by a calmly intelligent and rational "chick"!

You are very kind, Beaky. :)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th April 2014, 8:34 AM BST

I don't think you've quite explained why say "This is artistic expression; It's just a craze on the internet; I can't be held responsible for what people post on my page;" isn't a defence, Jennie.

Well, because I don't think there is an "offence" in the first place. To need a defence there needs to be a cause of action. He hasn't committed a crime (except possibly harassment, if a single individual's photo has been taken more than once in a "course of conduct").

There isn't really a defamation case there - nothing that has been published is untrue exactly.

There is nothing illegal about having the page up. I have always said that the argument is social rather than legal.

I have to say I'm surprised Facebook took it down. I originally assumed the owner took it down himself. Whatever I think about the group, I'd prefer FB to follow a more clear cut set of principles than just take down groups which get a certain amount of bad publicity. They used to do this, even if the principle was "everything is ok except nipples".

Quote: Jennie @ 12th April 2014, 5:45 PM BST

To need a defence there needs to be a cause of action.

But isn't "I'm not responsible" (whether through state of mind or the person's absence) the usual defence anyway?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th April 2014, 7:05 PM BST

But isn't "I'm not responsible" (whether through state of mind or the person's absence) the usual defence anyway?

I don't really understand to be honest! It's a defence often used in criminal charges, yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/14/facebook-uk-usage-statist_n_3753561.html

So according to the Huffpost Facebook has 24 million unique users every single day.
That's far more than any TV channel, newspaper or radio station could dream of.
It's easily one of the most powerful and influential broadcast channels.
At that point, it's not really good enough for it to be a case of I think this is fun, hooray.
The women eating on tube trains was a bizarre tip on this particular iceberg.
Because there's also everything from proanna, prosuicide and prodogfighting sites.
And some people do take this stuff seriously, so the question is not should you police it, but how. http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/115758/facebook-refuses-act-over-blood-libel%E2%80%99
this personally shocked me and was very glad when it was taken down, but this sort of editorial by the loudness of protest is no good.
We've got a government, we've got laws to protect the little person not the loudest.
And I dislike that whole process being subverted by a commercial site, designed to sell banner ad space and meta data.

Quote: Hannah G @ 12th April 2014, 1:49 PM BST

Why do the arguments always have to be about guns or women?

I argue on a myriad of topics including left wingers, vegetarians, cyclists, Nelson Mandela, Facebook, hunting, rampant atheism, recycling, wind farms and even popular television shows (I made someone leave once because I dared criticise Noel Fielding).

As with guns and women, the above topics are always great to argue because of the pre-conceived narrative and predictable points of view that a great many members of the BCG hold. Usually it's just me against the hoard, the one dissenting voice and that is always a very healthy thing to have.

could be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqWad73BGPI&feature=kp&noredirect=1

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th April 2014, 9:54 PM BST

(I made someone leave once because I dared criticise Noel Fielding).

:O
Was it me?
Did I come back?

I thought every one knew Noel Fielding was a talentless hack.

Quote: sootyj @ 12th April 2014, 10:07 PM BST

I thought every one knew sooty was a talentless hack.

Bit harsh. Whistling nnocently

Quote: zooo @ 12th April 2014, 10:05 PM BST

:O
Was it me?
Did I come back?

Laughing out loud

You did come back, but like Coulson in Agents of Shield or Buffy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (jeez Wheedon, come up with some new stuff you Moffat head), you were never quite the same.

Hey Zooo how did you're first day as a dog trainer go?

Quote: zooo @ 12th April 2014, 10:08 PM BST

Bit ARSE. Whistling nnocently

Give 'em a taste of their own medicine!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th April 2014, 9:54 PM BST

. Usually it's just me against the hoard, the one dissenting voice and that is always a very healthy thing to have.

I think if you managed to persuade the masses of your point of view, you would immediately become a Greenpeace supporting, vegetarian, anti-gun liberal. If I told you your views aren't actually that unique, you would be most upset.