I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,690

I'm going to turn on the ignition in a comedy Keystone cops car

Quote: Nogget @ 7th January 2015, 4:58 PM GMT

You don't think such a plan might backfire?

I hope so

Something has to be done - they clearly want a world totally dominated by Islam and we are handling it with kid gloves.

War is mental.
And they are the most mental people on the planet.
Unless you think you can persuade your own daughter to walk into a mosque with a bomb strapped to her, they will always win at that game.
And any way, we would create the very world they are hankering after if we came down in an authoritarian manner.

Sadly, all we can do is protect ourselves, try to thwart their plans and educate these poor f**kers out of their stupid beliefs.
I include all religion in this by the way.

The sooner we move on from believing in fairies the better.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th January 2015, 5:08 PM GMT

Something has to be done - they clearly want a world totally dominated by Islam and we are handling it with kid gloves.

Their extremism is increasing at a similar rate to the decrease in Christianity.

Those inelegant types would wither in less than a month if we went back to Robert Dougall reading the news once every day. Simultaneously, rolling 24 hour global news needs to be re-assessed with more questions asked about what precisely is freedom of expression. Does it necessarily include the kind of ratcheted up hype which implies any atrocity is directly relevant to the life of every Joe Bloggs every second? Or is that a macabre circus not hugely different in tone to the persistent obsessions of mad radical Islamists and similar?

Each of those movements to some extent resides on the same planet. It is one that claims to be the same as ours. But it is closer to the average computer game than it is to putting out the dustbins and cutting the grass. I think that's a problem. The greatest freedom of expression is reality. Fantasy versions should only be tolerated to the extent that they don't do that harm. Mostly, ordinary people should turn away on days like this one. I am only vaguely aware of what happened as I was enjoying a programme about daffodils.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th January 2015, 4:55 PM GMT

That mag should've had armed security.

I read that the magazine offices were under heavy police surveillance and that the editor had a police bodyguard at his side at all times. Unfortunately, when you're playing defence you have to succeed all of the time, while the attackers only need to succeed once. There are an almost unlimited number of soft targets out there, but the police are in limited supply.

One or two cops armed with handguns and thin Kevlar vests will come out on the losing end almost every time they're confronted by two or more well-trained attackers armed with rifles in a well-rehearsed attack with the element of surprise on their side.

The majority of those killed were police weren't they.

I guess this is why there's a need for more, more heavily armed policemen.

That said have you read CharlieHebde, I'm afraid to say the world of satire is richer today than it was yesterday.

Quote: sootyj @ 7th January 2015, 8:39 PM GMT

The majority of those killed were police weren't they.

No.........two

Quote: sootyj @ 7th January 2015, 8:39 PM GMT

That said have you read CharlieHebde, I'm afraid to say the world of satire is richer today than it was yesterday.

Sadly most satirists are not suicidal. :P

Quote: Chappers @ 7th January 2015, 7:42 PM GMT

Their extremism is increasing at a similar rate to the decrease in Christianity.

I don't think it's an indirect correlation, there are different variables in play.

Guisborough gardener looking ahead to spring with snowdrops and daffodils appearing already:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/feeling-wintry-cold-outside-seems-8401601

There are dickheads, half arsed tossers and then this bloke . . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-30710852

Might have looked slightly less suspicious if he had turned up in this

urple">FOOTBALLERS like convicted rapist Ched Evans should not be held up as role models because they are from the "lower classes", an academic has claimed.

Interesting way to support Evans.

urple"> Prof Allison said: "If you believe yourself to be innocent it would be ridiculous to show contrition.

"In that sense I have empathy with him because he has always said he didn't do it."

That much makes sense anyway.

urple"> He added: "Professional sportsman, consisting of young males, often from the lower classes or the lower strata, actually have far higher rates of criminality than the population as a whole."So this general expectation that they should be exemplars to us is simply a throwback to days when England rugby fullbacks were surgeons and stayed up all night saving lives. It is not a reasonable expectation of modern sportsmen." Prof Allison added it would be "ridiculous" to allow the conviction to ruin Evans' career.

So because he's criminal scum, we shouldn't be too hard on Evans?

urple">The director of a Brighton rape crisis centre hit back, calling Prof Allison an "uninformed rape apologist" and said she was left physically shaking by his comments.

Not sure what relevance her physical shaking has to do with the argument, why not try fighting back with reason?

urple">Fabia Bates, director of Survivors Network, said: "The thing that concerns me about Professor Allison's remarks is that he seems to be saying there are better or worse cases of rape... and this is somehow a crime that's not as serious as others.

I don't think he said that anywhere. He said a whole bunch of other controversial stuff, but completely unrelated to that.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11712459.Footballers_from_lower_classes____not_role_models___/

Quote: Nogget @ 9th January 2015, 8:40 AM GMT

urple">FOOTBALLERS like convicted rapist Ched Evans should not be held up as role models because they are from the "lower classes", an academic has claimed.

Interesting way to support Evans.

urple"> Prof Allison said: "If you believe yourself to be innocent it would be ridiculous to show contrition.

"In that sense I have empathy with him because he has always said he didn't do it."

That much makes sense anyway.

urple"> He added: "Professional sportsman, consisting of young males, often from the lower classes or the lower strata, actually have far higher rates of criminality than the population as a whole."So this general expectation that they should be exemplars to us is simply a throwback to days when England rugby fullbacks were surgeons and stayed up all night saving lives. It is not a reasonable expectation of modern sportsmen." Prof Allison added it would be "ridiculous" to allow the conviction to ruin Evans' career.

So because he's criminal scum, we shouldn't be too hard on Evans?

urple">The director of a Brighton rape crisis centre hit back, calling Prof Allison an "uninformed rape apologist" and said she was left physically shaking by his comments.

Not sure what relevance her physical shaking has to do with the argument, why not try fighting back with reason?

urple">Fabia Bates, director of Survivors Network, said: "The thing that concerns me about Professor Allison's remarks is that he seems to be saying there are better or worse cases of rape... and this is somehow a crime that's not as serious as others.

I don't think he said that anywhere. He said a whole bunch of other controversial stuff, but completely unrelated to that.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11712459.Footballers_from_lower_classes____not_role_models___/

There is no expectation they should be exemplars in non sporting terms.

Merely in the mid range of their social group behaviourally.

The middle class Corinthian spirit - fair play - was put up onto a pedestal.

No doubt that said more about them than "lower orders".

On and off the field, fair-ish play seems the realistic expectation for all.

Same as it ever was, except in posh academics who use banned drugs.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th January 2015, 5:08 PM GMT

A backlash against moslems is exactly what they hope to achieve. This would drive moderate moslems into the arms of the extremists - much as the far right delight in atrocities like this because it enables them to whip up anti-moslem feelings.

Extremists of both persuasions would be reduced to impotence without the fear of the other.