- 7th April via ITV: ITV Hub launches ITV2 Comedy Heroes
- 2017 - 2019
- 12 (2 series)
- Daniel Lawrence Taylor
- Daniel Lawrence Taylor, Kadiff Kirwan, Adelayo Adedayo, Samson Kayo, Liz Kingsman, Anna Chancellor, Kevin Garry, Ellie White and Oliver Wellington
- Daniel Lawrence Taylor and Barunka O'Shaughnessy
- George Kane
- Josh Cole and Jim Poyser
Timewasters is a comedy about a struggling four-piece South London jazz band who travel back in time to the 1920s via a urine-sodden lift in a dilapidated block of flats.
Stuck in the past after their 'time machine' is destroyed, our gang decide to explore, before quickly discovering that being young and black in the Jazz Age is a lot less genteel and a lot more shady than Downton Abbey had led them to believe.
Aided and abetted by a pair of oddball twins and some 1920s luminaries, the band are forced to navigate the parties and pitfalls of the Roaring Twenties while searching for a way back home. All the while, not missing the opportunity to introduce the Bright Young Things to some of the twenty-first century's finest tunes.
Having finally managed to return home, Series 2 sees the gang off on another adventure: this time to 1958, when black people in Britain were a far more common, if no less unwelcome in the eyes of many, sight. With the country still in the post-war doldrums, the group have bomb sites and Teddy Boys to contend with - but jazz is finally, truly making its mark on wider popular culture as rock and roll also begins making its presence felt on both sides of the Atlantic.
- Production company
- Also known as
- Blackwards (Working title)
- Black To The Future (Working title)
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Monday 9th October 2017 on ITV2 at 10pm
- Last new broadcast
- Monday 8th April 2019 on ITV2 at 10pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Last repeat
- Friday 14th August 2020 at 1:55am