- Comedy Drama
- 2005 - 2008
- BBC One
- 18 (2 series)
- Tamsin Greig, Sheridan Smith, Montserrat Lombard, Michael Landes, Trudie Styler, Brian Protheroe, Owen Brenman, Mark Heap and Amelia Curtis
- David Renwick
- Christine Gernon and Sandy Johnson
- Verity Lambert
Tamsin Greig is Alice Chenery, a modern woman with old fashioned values.
Alice works as the manageress of a perfume company concession in a London department store. Her co-workers, Cleo Martin (Sheridan Smith) and Milly Russel (Montserrat Lombard), try and help Alice find a man... well, that is when they are not too busy having problems with their own relationships.
Meanwhile, American comedy writer Gil arrives in England to discover his girlfriend is having an affair before they even land in the country. Now single, Gil worries about the advances of his next-door neighbour Irene Andrews (Trudie Styler).
Alice and Gil would make the perfect couple. The only problem is that they are completely unaware of each other's existence.
Just when it seems Gil and Alice will finally meet, she learns from his boss, Lloyd Drewitt (Owen Brenman), that Gil has died of a heart attack. Alice's attentions are then taken over by British comedy writer, and Gil's friend, Douglas McVitie (Mark Heap). Although Alice can sense that the relationship is not entirely working, she sticks with it.
- If your perfect partner was out there... how would you ever know?
- Production company
- Theme tune is "Alley Boogie" by Georgia White.
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 27th September 2005 on BBC One
- Last new broadcast
- Saturday 17th May 2008 on BBC One at 9pm
- Last repeat
- Friday 10th February 2017 at 9:00pm on London Live