As the extraordinary time that is 2022 nears its close, the good people at Have I Got News For You, Britain's most popular and long-running satirical television series, have foolishly assumed the year's events have concluded, and compiled a mammoth quiz book covering everything that's happened ... so far.
Their first quiz book in 10 years and intended to be the first in a new collectible series, it includes more than 1,000 questions and plenty of gags on everything from politics to pop culture. Have I Got News For You: The Quiz Of 2022 promises hours of entertainment and will serve as a timeless souvenir of a rollercoaster year.
Have I Got News For You: The Quiz Of 2022 is published by Sphere on 10th November, and we have this fiendish quiz extracted from the book to give you a taster.
One of the Government's (many) unpopular decisions in 2022 came when Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries announced plans to privatise Channel 4. As well as long-running favourites like Countdown and Gogglebox, the channel has never shied away from the weird and wonderful. Can you work out which of the following are real Channel 4 shows and which ones are completely made up?
1. The Man with a Penis on His Arm - Does what it says on the tin really. There's a bloke, and on his arm is a penis.
2. Tree of the Year with Ardal O'Hanlon - Tree-of-the-year competitions have been commonplace in Europe for years, but this one features Dougal from Father Ted for some reason.
3. Mother-in-Lord - Six born-again priests must reconcile with their ex-partners' mums after leaving their daughters for a life in the church.
4. I Married an Octopus - Documentary about a forty-six-year-old woman from Northampton who moved to Cyprus and attempted to marry an octopus called Lancelot.
5. London's Sexiest Landlords - This four-part series follows some of the capital's dreamiest property moguls as they explain why vital plumbing work can wait until next August.
6. Drugs Live - People take drugs, and ... well, that's about it really.
7. America's Biggest Mushrooms with Phil Tufnell - The former England spin-bowler visits several of North America's largest mushrooms, including a 3,000-square-foot fungus beneath Yellowstone National Park.
8. Sex Box - Couples go into a giant box and have sex inside it. They then emerge from the giant box and tell the audience about ... well, the sex they just had in the giant box.
9. Game of Clones - Reality show where people describe their perfect partner, then move in with eight near-identical matches who fit the description.
10. Carjackers - People arrange to have cars belonging to their friends and family stolen in order to give them shocking makeovers.
11. Help, I'm Dead! - Sixty-four-year-old Brenda from Doncaster believes she died in her sleep in 1992, but can still communicate with people (and TV cameras) for some reason.
12. The Boy Who Can Talk to Cheese - Steve Jones spends a week with eleven-year-old Maxwell from Denver, Colorado who claims he can communicate with cheese.
13. The British Tribe Next Door - Scarlett Moffatt and her family move into an exact replica of their terraced house, which has been painstakingly built in the middle of a remote African village.
14. Are We There Yet? - Take four mates, put them in a car and see how long it takes for the passengers to realise they're just going round in circles. The driver wins £10 for every mile travelled without anyone realising.
15. Meat the Family - A family of meat-eaters has to look after an animal for a week, and then decide whether they want to A: eat their new pet or B: send them to a sanctuary and never eat meat again.
Has your appetite been sufficiently whetted? Order your copy of Have I Got News For You: The Quiz Of 2022 now.
Ready for the answers? Read on...
1. The Man with a Penis on His Arm
2. Tree of the Year with Ardal O'Hanlon
6. Drugs Live
8. Sex Box
9. Game of Clones
13. The British Tribe Next Door
15. Meat the Family
4. I Married an Octopus
5. London's Sexiest Landlords
7. America's Biggest Mushrooms with Phil Tufnell
11. Help, I'm Dead!
12. The Boy Who Can Talk to Cheese
14. Are We There Yet?
Some people when they reach the end of a long, uncharted year of chaos on the home and world stages like to look forward to new horizons (albeit another long, uncharted year of chaos on the home and world stages, only with increasingly worse weather).
But before you leave the cosy confines of 2022, challenge yourself to live through it all one more time with a quiz book from your favourite topical Friday night panel show, with rounds including 'London's Hottest Party Venue', 'Backbench MP or Charles Dickens Character?', 'It's a Royal Cock-up' and Have I Got News For You regular features: the Missing Words and Odd One Out rounds.
With over 1,000 questions and plenty of gags on everything from politics to pop culture, Have I Got News For You: The Quiz Of 2022 promises hours of entertainment and will serve as a timeless souvenir of a rollercoaster year.
First published: Thursday 10th November 2022
- Publisher: Sphere
- Pages: 352
- Catalogue: 9781408727102
Not in the UK?
If you are in the North America, look out for US/Canadian flag icons on popular product listings for direct links.
If you order from a UK store, please note that the UK is in Region 2 and B, respectively, for DVDs and Blu-rays - check your player's compatibility, or look for multi-region products if you are located in another region.
If you are in Australia or New Zealand (DVD Region 4), note that almost all DVDs distributed in the UK by the BBC and 2entertain are encoded for both Region 2 and Region 4. The UK and Australasia are in the same Blu-ray region (B).