Radio 4 panel game that tests the guests linguistic knowledge. Hosted by Gyles Brandreth, with regular panellist Natalie Haynes
- Panel Show
- 2012 - 2014
- BBC Radio 4
- 18 (3 series)
- Gyles Brandreth and Natalie Haynes
- Jon Hunter and James Kettle
- Claire Jones
There are toponyms, abbreviations, euphemisms, old words, new words, cockney rhyming slang, Greek gobbledegook, plus the panellists' picks of the ugliest and the most beautiful words. It's the whole world of words in 28 minutes.
Find out the meaning of words like giff-gaff, knock-knobbler and buckfitches; the difference between French marbles, French velvet and the French ache and hear the glorious poetry of the English language, as practiced by writers ranging from William Shakespeare to Vanilla Ice.
- Production company
- Theme music is Wordy Rappinghood by Tom Tom Club.
- Laugh track
- Live audience
View recording details
- First broadcast
- Monday 20th February 2012 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Last new broadcast
- Wednesday 8th October 2014 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Last repeat
- Tuesday 18th September 2018 at 4:00am on Radio 4 Extra