The Party Line
Satirical radio sitcom about backbench MP Duncan Stonebridge (played by James Fleet), written and recorded the day before transmission
- 2005 - 2008
- BBC Radio 4
- 18 (3 series)
- James Fleet, Rachel Atkins, Geoffrey McGivern, Geraldine McNulty, Simon Greenall, Beth Chalmers, Manjeet Mann and Dan Mersh
- Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis
- Adam Bromley and Dawn Ellis
Duncan Stonebridge MP (James Fleet) is a Labour Party backbencher, looking after the interests of the fictional constituency of Rothershurst. Following his party's poor performance in the 2005 General Election, Stonebridge's majority is now just 27.
Trying to maintain control of a constituency that could easily vote him out, Duncan is always living in the shadow of the last MP, the late Conservative Sir Digby, who spirit lives on in the form of his widow Lady Harriet.
Each episode, written and broadcast the day before it goes out, looks at how Duncan manages to cope with what looks like disaster at every corner.
- Production company
- Laugh track
- Yes and no; it varies
- First broadcast
- Thursday 26th May 2005 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Last new broadcast
- Tuesday 11th November 2008 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Last repeat
- Tuesday 6th February 2018 at 4:30am on Radio 4 Extra