How many words?

I remember there was a thread on here ages ago where people were discussing how many words should be in a half hour script.

I'm buggered if I can find it.

can anyone remember what the conclusion was?

ta
jw
x

Quote: jdubya @ October 24 2008, 12:12 AM BST

I remember there was a thread on here ages ago where people were discussing how many words should be in a half hour script.

I'm buggered if I can find it.

can anyone remember what the conclusion was?

ta
jw
x

My 30 mins script is 6500. Sound right?

Yup.

thank you both very much.

I had one at 28 mins on a live read through and it was 5,500 words. I think you've really got to read it out to have a proper idea of how long it is. Depends on how much dialogue, the pace of the scenes, is there much description, etc.

Quote: Badge @ October 24 2008, 12:36 AM BST

I had one at 28 mins on a live read through and it was 5,500 words. I think you've really got to read it out to have a proper idea of how long it is. Depends on how much dialogue, the pace of the scenes, is there much description, etc.

yeah I hear you. I'm chopping something down to 15 mins so I thought if I can aim for a ball park figure - about 3,300 going from sf and mp then I can slash away then fine tune it and read it through later.

it's a monologue and the original read through at 27 mins and was a meagre 4,700 words with no scene description or anything other than the odd fade in/out and the character's name.

logically I suppose I should just halve that, but that would just look too short.

Surely every script will differ in word count.

Sitcoms for example will have very little stage directions, yet dramas will have more.

I write a script, then read through it, cutting anything unnecessary.
I never actually check word count.

I go by pages as one page is roughly just under a minute of screen time. Then I do a read-through and time it to see if it fits the time limit.

Quote: Mikey J @ October 24 2008, 1:29 AM BST

Surely every script will differ in word count.

Sitcoms for example will have very little stage directions, yet dramas will have more.

I write a script, then read through it, cutting anything unnecessary.
I never actually check word count.

You would probably be wise to check the word count. If I read someone's script the first thing I do is look at the word count so I can see how long it is.

Some people go on page count and word count. A DOCTORS script for example is always around the 6,500 mark. Some play longer because of emotional stuff etc and will get tweaked in the edit. Likewise a studio based sitcom may play longer cos of the actors pausing so their lines don't go over the deafening laughter. It's a rule of thumb but 3 to 3 and half K sounds okay to me Jdubya!

All commissioned scripts have a very specific word count in the contract. Sitcoms may be different.

Quote: jdubya @ October 24 2008, 1:16 AM BST

it's a monologue and the original read through at 27 mins and was a meagre 4,700 words with no scene description or anything other than the odd fade in/out and the character's name.

May I be really nosey and ask where you're aiming for with your monologue? I enjoy writing and performing monologues, but didn't know there was a call for them. Would be pleased to hear there is!
:)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 24 2008, 1:18 PM BST

May I be really nosey and ask where you're aiming for with your monologue? I enjoy writing and performing monologues, but didn't know there was a call for them. Would be pleased to hear there is!
:)

I use 4Laughs.

http://www.channel4.com/4laughs/enjoy/userMediaDetails.jsp?userMediaId=1014

Or used to when you could post stuff up.

Quote: Marc P @ October 24 2008, 2:37 PM BST

I use 4Laughs.

http://www.channel4.com/4laughs/enjoy/userMediaDetails.jsp?userMediaId=1014

Or used to when you could post stuff up.

Ha! I used to post them here, long, long ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/comedysoup/A13067570

But I was wondering if they could ever be made in return for money...

<laughter>

Yeah, right.

Dan

Depends if your name is Alan Bennett.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 24 2008, 8:53 AM BST

I go by pages as one page is roughly just under a minute of screen time. Then I do a read-through and time it to see if it fits the time limit.

Only vaguely accurate if it is typed in Filmscript format. If in Studio (sitcom) format its going to be nearer 30 to 40 seconds per page or even less.