Status report Page 5,763

Quote: Ben @ 17th March 2015, 9:36 PM GMT

Woop!

I did a two hour lesson once. It was a bit too much and made my arse hurt. Plus, I couldn't stand my instructor.

A bow tie, you say? Please furnish us with more detail e.g colour

Blue polka dot I think. Odd fellow. The man in the bowler hat ages ago was also bizarre.

Now this is a bit of a weird one. I have now had three sessions with an unconventional osteopath who is an ex boxer and what I have already been through is robust to put it mildly. When the soreness subsides, I am standing more squarely than I have ever done and that part is great but there is also a dilemma. Seeing that writing, computer use, etc have contributed to terrible posture, I am having to do less of them and it is as if I am being designed for a different sort of life. In two words, I guess that is " more physical". The problem is that I am at the sort of age where I have questioned whether moving about a lot is wise. I am also unsure about where to move to in the day-to-day if this trend continues as it has changed my emotional age to anything between 22 and 85 depending on the time.

Get one of those stand up desks.

Quote: zooo @ 18th March 2015, 12:40 AM GMT

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th March 2015, 12:28 AM GMT

Now this is a bit of a weird one. I have now had three sessions with an unconventional osteopath who is an ex boxer and what I have already been through is robust to put it mildly. When the soreness subsides, I am standing more squarely than I have ever done and that part is great but there is also a dilemma. Seeing that writing, computer use, etc have contributed to terrible posture, I am having to do less of them and it is as if I am being designed for a different sort of life. In two words, I guess that is " more physical". The problem is that I am at the sort of age where I have questioned whether moving about a lot is wise. I am also unsure about where to move to in the day-to-day if this trend continues as it has changed my emotional age to anything between 22 and 85 depending on the time.

I'm intrigued, what is an 'unconventional' Osteopath? Apart from a bit of soreness you shouldn't suffer any after effects from treatment. Has he given you exercises and stretches to do and lifestyle advice? It may not be that you have to do less of the things that contributed to your terrible posture, but that you need to rethink how you do them. Is your chair suitably supportive, your sitting position correct, height and distance of desk, pc or whatever you use correct in relation to your seating arrangements? Small changes can make a big difference. Taking regular breaks to stretch and walk about, even if just ten mins, can also help. Things like the Alexander technique can be very useful for people with postural related problems. If you choose to exercise choose carefully, depending on what your problem is you can cause more problems. Osteo should be able to advise about that, as can Alexandra Technique Practitioners. Generally you shouldn't need loads of Osteopath sessions; once your postural symptoms have been relieved and lifestyle adapted accordingly, you may only need a top up session occasionally.

Quote: Lee @ 17th March 2015, 2:02 PM GMT

The lesson went well ie I survived! Drove around for an hour, was fun!

Hooray. Laughing out loud

:)

Quote: Loopey @ 18th March 2015, 8:24 AM GMT

I'm intrigued, what is an 'unconventional' Osteopath? Apart from a bit of soreness you shouldn't suffer any after effects from treatment. Has he given you exercises and stretches to do and lifestyle advice? It may not be that you have to do less of the things that contributed to your terrible posture, but that you need to rethink how you do them. Is your chair suitably supportive, your sitting position correct, height and distance of desk, pc or whatever you use correct in relation to your seating arrangements? Small changes can make a big difference. Taking regular breaks to stretch and walk about, even if just ten mins, can also help. Things like the Alexander technique can be very useful for people with postural related problems. If you choose to exercise choose carefully, depending on what your problem is you can cause more problems. Osteo should be able to advise about that, as can Alexandra Technique Practitioners. Generally you shouldn't need loads of Osteopath sessions; once your postural symptoms have been relieved and lifestyle adapted accordingly, you may only need a top up session occasionally.

I have had three sessions so far. Actually, we are talking here more conventional and less. The more conventional side of it is that he is qualified, he has years of experience and is very hands on whereas these days - the younger ones - they chat a lot. The other side of it is twofold. One, some of his past is connected to renowned alternative health schools and, secondly, it is more about bureaucracy and I'd rather not mention that one in respect of him. I sort of know where he stands and agree with him.

I am grateful for your advice. There is quite a lot more to this matter than I have described. Actually huge amounts and it hasn't been at all easy since November. For example, I've had to change my GP as I didn't like the way that things were being done and the accompanying attitudes expressed. I will certainly consider the Alexander Technique as an additional - but not different - way of doing things.

Quote: zooo @ 18th March 2015, 12:40 AM GMT

:D

That might be worth bearing in mind. Thanks for it kindly. But the Oldrocker's post does raise a point too because I'm feeling that all that static may need to be balanced up with the universal inner gipsy.

Quote: Lee @ 17th March 2015, 2:02 PM GMT

The lesson went well ie I survived! Drove around for an hour, was fun!

Well done. :D

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 17th March 2015, 7:38 PM GMT

Please elaborate. The DM is known for being a very fair, balanced and above all, inclusive tabloid.

They have a page where people write in asking answers to obscure questions. The one I reponded to was about Peg Entwistle who committed suicide by jumping off the Hollywood Sign.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th March 2015, 7:13 PM GMT

I have had three sessions so far. Actually, we are talking here more conventional and less. The more conventional side of it is that he is qualified, he has years of experience and is very hands on whereas these days - the younger ones - they chat a lot. The other side of it is twofold. One, some of his past is connected to renowned alternative health schools and, secondly, it is more about bureaucracy and I'd rather not mention that one in respect of him. I sort of know where he stands and agree with him.

I am grateful for your advice. There is quite a lot more to this matter than I have described. Actually huge amounts and it hasn't been at all easy since November. For example, I've had to change my GP as I didn't like the way that things were being done and the accompanying attitudes expressed. I will certainly consider the Alexander Technique as an additional - but not different - way of doing things.

Glad some of it was useful. The Alexander Technique is, from my understanding, for use in every day life and in conjunction with anything else, so hopefully it will help improve things overall. Interesting about your Osteo, I see a few within the same practice of different ages and with differing views. I prefer some to others but all achieve the same aim which is to take my money. Not really, I am lucky because my friend works there so I don't have to pay the £40 for half an hour or whatever it is nowadays. I don't know how anyone but the super rich or insured can afford regular trips otherwise. Good luck with your treatment, whichever path it takes.. x

Ben would love to go for a slap out meal tonight, but can't afford it and doesn't have the time.

One day he will though. And he'll go out every single night.

Quote: Ben @ 19th March 2015, 12:46 PM GMT

Ben would love to go for a slap out meal tonight, but can't afford it and doesn't have the time.

One day he will though. And he'll go out every single night.

6 9 25 36 45 48 - This coming Saturday's lottery numbers for you Ben. Go for it my son!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th March 2015, 4:55 PM GMT

6 9 25 36 45 48 - This coming Saturday's lottery numbers for you Ben. Go for it my son!

If I win I'll take you for dinner.

Quote: Ben @ 19th March 2015, 8:21 PM GMT

If I win I'll take you for dinner.

What more could any man ask. :)

By the way, as I freakily might have picked the right numbers, I have now had to do the lottery with that set!! Laughing out loud

We can then take each other out to dinner..........and everyone else on the BCG.