Status report Page 4,283

Quote: zooo @ February 11 2012, 12:51 AM GMT

I like it when you wait hours for the estate agent to turn up, they finally come, and then have brought the wrong keys.

Don't they have the system where the Realtor (estate agent) calls a phone number and they unlock it remotely? Actually, I think it gives them a short-lived code that unlocks the box that contains the key. Can't remember because it's been almost 5 years since I bought this house.

Quote: DaButt @ February 11 2012, 2:51 AM GMT

Don't they have the system where the Realtor (estate agent) calls a phone number and they unlock it remotely? Actually, I think it gives them a short-lived code that unlocks the box that contains the key. Can't remember because it's been almost 5 years since I bought this house.

Exactly which century do you live in DaButt? Can you activate your hovercar through mind-waves?

DaButt bought his house in pill form, he just planted and poured a glass of water over it.

Quote: DaButt @ February 11 2012, 2:51 AM GMT

:|

Many of the buildings in London are very old. They have doors with keys that humans use with their hands.

I still poop in a bucket and chuck it out the window.

Wish I had a window.

Quote: sootyj @ February 11 2012, 10:31 AM GMT

I still poop in a bucket and chuck it out the window.

Wish I had a window.

And a bucket.

A bucket I have I'm not working class!

(could do with a second bucket though)

Quote: zooo @ February 11 2012, 10:25 AM GMT

:|

Many of the buildings in London are very old. They have doors with keys that humans use with their hands.

Age doesn't matter. There's a little lockbox that they attach to the doorknob or something nearby. The Realtor calls the agency that controls the boxes and gives them their name and PIN number. The agency records this information and gives them a code that is only good for a few minutes. The Realtor types the code on the lockbox and it opens, revealing a key. The Realtor then opens the door with the key, using their human hands.

A similar system has been in use for decades, but the lockboxes had mechanical and permanent combination locks like bicycle locks use. This new method is obviously more secure.

I suppose it's cos Texas is humungous and it's not always practical to drive out to handover the keys?

It's just more efficient than having Realtors popping in to pick up keys all day. This way, any agent can show any house at any time.

Ah, weird.
Well, none of the estate agencies I've used so far have had that system.

Perhaps things work differently here. Any Realtor can show any property, even if they don't work for the same agency. Are your agents allowed to do that, or does a particular agency/agent have sole control of a specific property?

Sole control I believe.

That must be terribly competative.

The listing agent and the selling agent both make money off the deal. It seems to work well.

As a buyer, it's nice to have a single agent who'll show you dozens of houses that match your needs instead of dealing with a different agent for each one.

Chip's just had some splendid new bookcases delivered and has been filling them with books and DVDs.