Coogan Live Page 5

Quote: Seefacts @ November 11 2008, 11:46 PM GMT

I think this tour has damaged Coogan's reputation in comedy somewhat.

But probably not his bank balance! Or his Hollywood, uh, career!

I'm not surprised really it's getting poor reviews. I think I mentioned previously that I thought 'The Man Who Thinks He's It' was close to unwatchable.

Quote: Ben @ November 12 2008, 11:59 AM GMT

I'm not surprised really it's getting poor reviews. I think I mentioned previously that I thought 'The Man Who Thinks He's It' was close to unwatchable.

I loved that!

Saw him at Brighton last week. Huge venue was packed-out. He must be making a fortune.

I wasn't the target audience, it's fair to say, about 20 years older than most of the people there, and I don't know much of his stuff other than Alan Partridge. But I was quite ready to believe that the press had overdone the negativity in their reviews.

In fact it was dire. My partner wanted to walk out at half-time but I persuaded her it had to get better. It didn't.

He's clearly a capable performer, but he desperately needs new writers.

Jesus. I was really hoping he'd have taken serious steps to improve things by this stage. It would appear he hasn't bothered.

I went to see "The man" tour many many years ago and laughed my danglers off. In fact it was the funniest show I'd ever been to. Back of the old napper ached with the sheer amount of laughter.

I got the video fron Santa that year and didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. I think in the words of the old saying...

You'd have needed to be there. But what a night! 'king brill!

Quote: John Kelly @ November 29 2008, 12:30 PM GMT

I wasn't the target audience, it's fair to say,

Who is the target audience for a Coogan show?

Quote: chipolata @ December 1 2008, 12:13 PM GMT

Who is the target audience for a Coogan show?

Going by the Brighton show, I'd say 18-25.

Quote: John Kelly @ December 1 2008, 12:26 PM GMT

Going by the Brighton show, I'd say 18-25.

Odd, because Coogan's golden period was the early to mid nineties, which would put his natural fanbase at mid thirties and over.

I thought Part 1 was ok in places, certainly not bad enough to walk out, Part 2 was then quite good with Partridge and Coogan as himself. I thought he worked hard on stage with all the songs etc.

I do fear however that this could have damaged his rep as someone has previously said.

Quote: chipolata @ December 2 2008, 9:47 AM GMT

Odd, because Coogan's golden period was the early to mid nineties, which would put his natural original fanbase at mid thirties and over.

Went to see it at the O2 last night.

I again as others went with a neutral view hoping that expectations would be met... unfortunately it wasn't and his style just doesn't work in front of a huge audience like that. No one was laughing and can you believe he got jeered!!!

He looked tired and just like he didn't want to be there.

Partridge was great though...but the whole of the first half was slightly cringey with a couple of good bits.

Shame on the whole... although I did sneak into the VIP lounge by accident for a drink which was funky at the O2. :)

Quote: EllieJP @ December 9 2008, 7:27 PM GMT

I did sneak into the VIP lounge by accident

Yeah yeah, we believe you.

Quote: EllieJP @ December 9 2008, 7:27 PM GMT

Went to see it at the O2 last night.

I again as others went with a neutral view hoping that expectations would be met... unfortunately it wasn't and his style just doesn't work in front of a huge audience like that. No one was laughing and can you believe he got jeered!!!

He looked tired and just like he didn't want to be there.

Partridge was great though...but the whole of the first half was slightly cringey with a couple of good bits.

What a shame.

Do you think his rep is damaged because of this tour?

Nah. He's still about the best comedy actor/writer we've got.