Coogan Live

Is anyone else seeing him on his current tour? If you are, I hope he's significantly improved from his show in Blackburn last night - he was terrible. Absoutely woeful in fact.

If anyone wants to know the running order of characters I'll let you know (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may be going tough) but, as a basic, the material just wasn't funny. Coogan tried a couple of new ideas but, in the main, relied on very similar material to that which he used in his last tour 10 years ago. And, just to rub salt into the wounds, he relied far too much (probably 50% - 60% of his show) on reading prompts either written on his hand or on cards which were made to appear part of the act. This made the show less of a comedy event and more of a lecture - it really did lack that performance feel. I would be disappointed at a comic at a local stand-up night doing this. For a recognised and renowned artist to resort to this (when we'd shelled out around £37 per ticket) was an absolute disgrace. Although I still regard his earlier work (Paul Calf's video diaries & all the Partridge output) as briliant, he's gone some way to losing a number of fans last night (there were 14 of us overall and we all shared the same opinion). Cheers Steve - I feel severely short-changed.

Angry

And apologies Aaron - I did mean to post this in the 'Other British Comedy' section. My anger is clouding my judgement at the moment...

Quite alright. Thread moved. :)

I'm going to see him in Dec. I really hope he's using these earlier gigs to improve for when I see him then. :(

Fingers crossed for you!

I was reluctant to post this should any regulars have tickets for future gigs - I really hope he improves as the tour progresses...

Am I right in thinking that some of the people writing for his live show are in the College of Comedy?

I wanted to go see him in Norwich, but it sold out.

This all sounds disappointing. He's been fantastic when I've seen him before. I didn't get tickets for this tour as they seemed too sparse and steep. They seem even steeper after that review. (I got tickets to see Rob Brydon instead).

Even if the show is in its early stages and will evolve, they shouldn't charge so much for these shows. The full price should be reserved for the polished show. This may be beyond Coogan's control, but still...

Actually, I was never that keen on 'The Man Who Thinks He's It'.

'Live and Lewd' was very good though.

Quote: Mick Green @ October 12 2008, 9:21 PM BST

Is anyone else seeing him on his current tour? If you are, I hope he's significantly improved from his show in Blackburn last night - he was terrible. Absoutely woeful in fact.

If anyone wants to know the running order of characters I'll let you know (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who may be going tough) but, as a basic, the material just wasn't funny. Coogan tried a couple of new ideas but, in the main, relied on very similar material to that which he used in his last tour 10 years ago. And, just to rub salt into the wounds, he relied far too much (probably 50% - 60% of his show) on reading prompts either written on his hand or on cards which were made to appear part of the act. This made the show less of a comedy event and more of a lecture - it really did lack that performance feel. I would be disappointed at a comic at a local stand-up night doing this. For a recognised and renowned artist to resort to this (when we'd shelled out around £37 per ticket) was an absolute disgrace. Although I still regard his earlier work (Paul Calf's video diaries & all the Partridge output) as briliant, he's gone some way to losing a number of fans last night (there were 14 of us overall and we all shared the same opinion). Cheers Steve - I feel severely short-changed.

Angry

And apologies Aaron - I did mean to post this in the 'Other British Comedy' section. My anger is clouding my judgement at the moment...

Seems you're not the only one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1078440/Steve-Coogan-booed-furious-fans-walk-shambolic-stand-comeback.html

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 17 2008, 11:21 AM BST

Seems you're not the only one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1078440/Steve-Coogan-booed-furious-fans-walk-shambolic-stand-comeback.html

Oh dear. Still, on the plus side lovable racist Danielle Loyd is launching her own glamour model agency.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1078243/Danielle-Lloyd-launches-agency-glamour-models-frilly-pink-lingerie-not.html

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 17 2008, 11:21 AM BST

Haha!

Yes what a fab website. When you feel like you've lost the will to live, give it a quick butcher's - particularly the reader's comments - and you suddenly feel so alive. And angry.

Oh dear... I'm a little discouraged now. At least my tickets were free.

Quote: chipolata @ October 13 2008, 10:37 AM BST

Am I right in thinking that some of the people writing for his live show are in the College of Comedy?

Yes they are, I think there were two of them that got in as a writing partnership.

My friend's the blogger who wrote the story in the Liverpool Daily Post and she can't quite believe how big this shitstorm has become.

http://www.comedyblog.merseyblogs.co.uk/2008/10/steve_coogan_what_went_wrong.html