BSG German class Page 5

Miss Finckelgrüber, what is the purpose of ja, in a sentence like "Ach Ian, dein Pimmel ist ja riesig!"

Also, what does that sentence mean? I heard it a lot while in Germany but didn't understand!

When else do you use ja in this sense? I asked my cousin once and he told me to forget it and just try not to use it, but if it sounds more natural I want to at least try to grasp it.

Quote: ian_w @ September 17 2008, 11:33 PM BST

Miss Finckelgrüber, what is the purpose of ja, in a sentence like "Ach Ian, dein Pimmel ist ja riesig!"

Also, what does that sentence mean? I heard it a lot while in Germany but didn't understand!

When else do you use ja in this sense? I asked my cousin once and he told me to forget it and just try not to use it, but if it sounds more natural I want to at least try to grasp it.

Laughing out loud

You know perfectly well what that sentence means! And I won't risk corrupting innocent bystanders by translating it. Anyway, what are you doing this weekend?

'Ja' is used a bit like 'really' or 'indeed', but maybe more often. There is no exact translation for it. Depends on the context. It's a filler word.

Quote: Finck @ September 17 2008, 11:31 PM BST

No...

I assume you meant to say 'You bitch!'. That would be 'Du Schlampe!'

And you're welcome. :)

Damn! I got it wrong. But, hey - it's the thought that counts. Cool

Quote: Finck @ September 17 2008, 11:38 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Anyway, what are you doing this weekend?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

'Ja' is used a bit like 'really' or 'indeed', but maybe more often. There is no exact translation for it. Depends on the context. It's a filler word.

Ahhh, that's why he told me to forget it, because he couldn't explain when and how to use it. Do you think I'm better off leaving it too? Or would it sound more 'natural' to use it?

Quote: ian_w @ September 17 2008, 11:44 PM BST

Ahhh, that's why he told me to forget it, because he couldn't explain when and how to use it. Do you think I'm better off leaving it too? Or would it sound more 'natural' to use it?

You can change the rhythm of the sentence and the emphasis of single words with it.
I think one could say (though I couldn't prove it ad-hoc) that it's often used between the verb and an object and that it puts the emphasis on the word that follows (of course it also changes the metre).

Example: Das ist toll. - Das ist ja _toll_!

HTH.

See you on Saturday!

Quote: Morrace @ September 17 2008, 11:18 PM BST

assuming that Germans have a word for 'f**king'

Assuming that that was a legitimate point, I believe that the word "f**k" is derived from the German "fricken" (sp?), meaning "to strike".

Or something. Finck?

Quote: Finck @ September 17 2008, 11:54 PM BST

You can change the rhythm of the sentence and the emphasis of single words with it.
I think one could say (though I couldn't prove it ad-hoc) that it's often used between the verb and an object and that it puts the emphasis on the word that follows (of course it also changes the metre).

Example: Das ist toll. - Das ist ja _toll_!

HTH.

It does, a great deal. Thank you. One more thing though. If I used it and it was somehow inappropriate or out of place, would it sound extremely odd, or odd but forgivable?

See you on Saturday!

:D You'd better bring plenty of sugary drinks, it'll be a long, exhausting night :) (ja lang!)

Quote: Aaron @ September 17 2008, 11:59 PM BST

Assuming that that was a legitimate point, I believe that the word "f**k" is derived from the German "fricken" (sp?), meaning "to strike".

Or something. Finck?

Actually both the German and the English word go back to indogermanic origins, but the English one was derived from the Swedish word 'focka' which has something to do with the mating of animals.

The German word 'ficken' originally meant something like 'to rub against' and was used to describe the sharpening of swords.

Quote: ian_w @ September 18 2008, 12:02 AM BST

It does, a great deal. Thank you. One more thing though. If I used it and it was somehow inappropriate or out of place, would it sound extremely odd, or odd but forgivable?

No, not at all. You'd maybe even sound a bit like Boris Becker.

It doesn't belong at the beginning of sentences or single terms, though (as in 'ja lang!'). :)

Quote: ian_w @ September 18 2008, 12:02 AM BST

:D You'd better bring plenty of sugary drinks, it'll be a long, exhausting night :) (ja lang!)

I don't need sugary drinks. ;)

Quote: Finck @ September 18 2008, 12:12 AM BST

Yay, now that's pretty cool!

It doesn't belong at the beginning of sentences or single terms, though (as in 'ja lang!'). :)

Haha, honestly I did know that, you have to believe me :(

Phew! Looks like I might need to bring some then Laughing out loud

Maybe a Latte?

Quote: Badge @ September 18 2008, 12:44 AM BST

Maybe a Latte?

Indispensable. ;)

Quote: ian_w @ September 18 2008, 12:19 AM BST

Yay, now that's pretty cool!

It's the broom cupboard for you, Finck! ;)

'Vimbulldon'

Google.de says it's Weltkindertag, so happy Weltkindertag Finck! (whatever the hell that is).

Childrens day?

World Children's Day.