Looking for character names Page 2

The science teacher at our school is Mr P.Doe.

http://www.longhill.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Science-Dept-Leaflet-2012-13.pdf

For some reason, he chooses to write it like that.

For me, if a name doesn't come organically I will just do a Google search for popular names from the era I'm writing about.

I believe a Nikki Startup has worked on some comedy shows. The king of coming up with humourous names has to be Eric Idle. Here are a couple from his Rutland Weekend Television series:

Ron Discomfort
Steve Flea
Greg Rebellion
Robert Whore.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th September 2014, 11:37 AM BST

On a practical note - and I speak from bitter experience - try not to have too many names that begin with the same letter.
If your writing software has any sort of 'auto complete' it can be a nightmare, and something you can easily miss if working at speed - only to discover the wrong people have got the wrong lines in your final draft.

I've realised that myself. I'm not great at remembering names of characters and if you have 2 beginning with, say G it can get confusing.

Quote: Nogget @ 17th September 2014, 5:51 AM BST

You'll have to explain what you think is odd about most of those names.

As Gappy mentioned Zacchary Smith was in Lost in Space. I guess when you're a Smith you have to have something a bit different.

And John Illman was interesting as I work in a hospital.

A couple more today.

Pamela Arseneaut.
Carol Lewis.

Blimey, this thread is a blast from the past.

Quote: gappy @ 17th September 2014, 8:52 AM BST

If you want dated names, try looking up a list of Dickens characters, there's bound to be one online somewhere. But, watch out for silly names he made up - there's only ever been one person wit the forename Wackford. Laughing out loud

Thanks gappy, but don't worry as I sorted this out six years ago! :)

Quote: Otterfox @ 17th September 2014, 2:45 PM BST

...The king of coming up with humourous names has to be Eric Idle. Here are a couple from his Rutland Weekend Television series:

Ron Discomfort
Steve Flea
Greg Rebellion
Robert Whore.

But I raise you Round The Horne!

J Peasmould GruntFuttock
Dame Ceilia Molestrangler
Binky Huckaback
Rambling Syd Rumpo
Gaylord Haemoglobin
Detective Sergeant Obadiah Grasspole
Brigadier Edith Gormenstrop (Mrs)