No Heroics - Series 1 Page 2

Evidently Humour Man has been neglecting his duties.

Awful. What a waste of funny people.

I quite liked it, but it did seem a little lacking in big laughs, especially for a first episode. The swearing got on my f**king tits as well. Look forward to seeing how it develops.

There were some pretty good moments, though anything with The Hotness seemed quite poor. Maybe it was the actor. One thing I wondered, what was that on-screen logo in the top right? How annoying. Next they'll be having the news headlines on a sideways scrolling banner at the bottom all the way through the programme.

I agree on the swearing. It's been a "modern actor" thing for years now, trying to prove they're trendy by f**king this and wanking that - I bet some of them even insist on it in the script. And you think old fuddy-duddies like me are shocked and outraged, when it's actually the opposite, honestly: we've seen it all before, for years and years now.
It's not cool any more.

You mean there was a script?!

Sometimes it's better if there isn't. :)

It was alright. Had some laughs in it, but could have been a lot, lot stronger. Hopefully the other episodes will pick up.

James Lance and Patrick Baladi were grossly under-used in this. Both of them have great comic timing/dry wit and the best bit may well have been the stand-off between them when he threatened to rape him.

Agree about the swearing too. Seemed as though they were just swearing for the sake of it, rather than out of necessity.

Re: the playing of the same parts -- don't the vast majority of actors play the same parts each time? Rebekah Staton plays the same character (Louise) in Pulling, Claire Keelan's superhero is basically Claire Ashcroft from Nathan Barley and Nic Burns plays himself in everything (*except* Nathan Barley to be fair). Isn't that what they do well, and why they get the roles they do?

Dan

I thought it was okay. Nothing particularly special. Not sure yet if I'll go back for more episodes, although I suspect my interest will have bled away by about episode three.

Quote: Bad dog @ September 19 2008, 8:49 AM BST

One thing I wondered, what was that on-screen logo in the top right?

"XXL". In reference to "XXL Thursdays"; ITV2's version of BBC Two's "Thursdays Are Funny".

Or so we're told.

Quote: Aaron @ September 19 2008, 10:21 AM BST

"XXL". In reference to "XXL Thursdays"; ITV2's version of BBC Two's "Thursdays Are Funny".

And ironically, both strands work about as well as each other.

it felt like Extras series 2 with superpowers but not as funny.

The stupidly named XXL Thursday on ITV2 does at least have the virtue of the marvellous Entourage. Not that any bugger watches it, of course.

To stay on topic, haven't seen No Heroics yet, but you've all nicely lowered my expectations for it!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 19 2008, 7:57 AM BST

I quite liked it, but it did seem a little lacking in big laughs, especially for a first episode. The swearing got on my f**king tits as well. Look forward to seeing how it develops.

I agree with this especially with the swearing. I enjoyed James Lance's character and I thought the scenes in the cornershop were good.

I didn't enjoy it, nothing really interesting happened. Hotness had a date and the lady went to the off-licence while the other two sat in the pub. The only character that showed more than one-dimension was the bully-hero and he was hardly in it.

I'll watch next week to see if it was suffering from first episode syndrome.