QI - Moving to BBC One Page 2

Quote: Griff @ August 21 2008, 2:03 PM BST

What, cancel my BSG account?

Don't tease us.

Quote: Griff @ August 21 2008, 1:58 PM BST

And radio? I don't think I've met a single person under 35 who listens to radio comedy or even knows such a thing exists.

You've met Mark and I!

Define "normal life"?

I'm a bit trepidatious about a move to BBC1 for QI, although as has already been said, it's doubtful Fry and Lloyd would let anything drastic happen to it.

It seems such an inocuous thing in words, doesn't it - moving a show to another channel - but this seems to carry so much weight with it! I don't remember similar concern when HIGNFY got moved, but I'm blessed with one of the worst memories in the world, so I could be wrong.

QI just "feels" BBC2 (and BBC Four). That's really not a phrase meant to belittle it, and I don't want to come over snobby (that'd be a laugh in itself!), but I just worry what "mainstream" audiences will make of something that doesn't involve DIY or makeovers...

Reading on the QI forums, there seems to be two main points of view. One is that of those who are worried that the move will result in the show will be dumbed down. The other group consists of people living abroad who are saying, "Why are you complaining so much about the show moving channel? We can't watch it at all! How do you think we feel?"

It does seem somewhat unfair that people overseas can't watch programmes like QI, even on iPlayer. I mean, you do get those who'll upload the show on YouTube or similar, but I can imagine it not being quite the same. :( Still, sometimes there are ways and means... :)

Quote: Amanda Prefect @ August 22 2008, 5:41 PM BST

It does seem somewhat unfair that people overseas can't watch programmes like QI, even on iPlayer. I mean, you do get those who'll upload the show on YouTube or similar, but I can imagine it not being quite the same. :( Still, sometimes there are ways and means... :)

Well, there is the QI in the USA web petition, which at the time of typing has around 5,200 signatures to it. It's only a matter of time before QI is shown stateside.

For free? So we pay the license fee to get it made, and they get it for free while watching a few ads. Bastards. ;)

Plus, there's always torrents.

Or you can use a UK proxy address to fool the iPlayer into thinking you're in the UK - that's pretty easy.

Quote: Phill @ August 22 2008, 9:06 PM BST

Or you can use a UK proxy address to fool the iPlayer into thinking you're in the UK - that's pretty easy.

Does not work.

Works for me when I'm abroad.

Quote: Phill @ August 22 2008, 9:06 PM BST

Don't tell the foreigns how to nick our stuff!

It'll be an education for 'em. Spread the word, spread the love.

Quote: Amanda Prefect @ August 22 2008, 5:41 PM BST

It does seem somewhat unfair that people overseas can't watch programmes like QI, even on iPlayer.

The hardware costs alone would be mentalist!

Quote: Phill @ August 22 2008, 9:56 PM BST

It'll be an education for 'em. Spread the word, spread the love.

And don't complain the next time your Licence Fee rockets. ;)

I wouldn't worry for the show if it does move to BBC1. It's a show that will survive wherever it's put, though I'm assuming it will still go out first on BBC4. I don't see them changing the format or the general guest mix. This, as I'm sure most of us agree, is a lovely, warm show which will continue to satisfy a loyal audience. And Stephen Fry is surely up there for the title of Greatest Living Englishman.