John Esmonde Dies

One half of the comedy writing due Esmonde and Larbey who wrote such sitcoms as Please Sir and The Good Life.

He was 71.

Very sad news. Link.

Sad indeed. Would have loved to have met him. RIP.

Only mention I can find of his death is the date on E&L's Wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esmonde_and_Larbey

Co-writer of one of my very favourite sit-coms, the criminally under-rated 'Ever Decreasing Circles'. Sad news, indeed.

He had a Good Life.

He certainly Got Some In. No, not him, The Other One. Anyway, Please Sir, congratualte him. How did he die, did he have a BRUSH with a STROKE.

Wow, I just remember Get Some In, Jack.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 13 2008, 11:26 AM BST

He certainly Got Some In. No, not him, The Other One. Anyway, Please Sir, congratualte him. How did he die, did he have a BRUSH with a STROKE.

*GROANS* I'm off to commit suicide after those! :)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 13 2008, 10:16 AM BST

Co-writer of one of my very favourite sit-coms, the criminally under-rated 'Ever Decreasing Circles'. Sad news, indeed.

Very sad news and I agree with the comment above. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my opinion Ever Decreasing Circles is the finest situation comedy ever made.

Quote: monkeybeard @ August 14 2008, 11:27 AM BST

Very sad news and I agree with the comment above. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in my opinion Ever Decreasing Circles is the finest situation comedy ever made.

It is a truly great show, and possibly Richard Briers finest comedy performance.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2008, 11:54 PM BST

Sad indeed. Would have loved to have met him. RIP.

Only mention I can find of his death is the date on E&L's Wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esmonde_and_Larbey

The Good Life & Please Sir! - both so different, yet SO funny! Classics.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article4516038.ece

Everyone's spot on about Ever Decreasing Circles- so underrated- The Good Life always takes the plaudits when it comes to Esmonde and Larbey, yet EDC is barely mentioned.

Has Ever Decreasing Circles got it's own boxset yet? I know the series were released individually, but it deserves the boxset treatment.

I guess people always think that ...Decreasing Circles is a bit of a cozy, domestic sitcom, but it's actually quite dark. The performance by Briers as Martin Bryce, a character riddled with anxiety, is extra-ordinary. Brilliantly written as well, of course.

Quote: chipolata @ August 14 2008, 1:49 PM BST

Has Ever Decreasing Circles got it's own boxset yet? I know the series were released individually, but it deserves the boxset treatment.

Yep, there's one of those, a re-issued set which, I think, came out last year.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 14 2008, 1:57 PM BST

I guess people always think that ...Decreasing Circles is a bit of a cozy, domestic sitcom, but it's actually quite dark. The performance by Briers as Martin Bryce, a character riddled with anxiety, is extra-ordinary. Brilliantly written as well, of course.

It's one of Ricky Gervais's sitcoms as well, I think. So the man's not a complete knob.