Repetition of Jokes

I've been catching up with some overlooked sitcoms recently and have noticed the same joke, almost word for word, in My Family and After You've Gone.

I know they're created by the same person but wondered if it was commonplace for jokes to be recycled.

Anybody know of any other examples?

One joke that seems to crop up, whether nicked, borrowed or whatever, is the one where, in order to get out of an embarrasing predicament, somebody will pretend to recieve a call on their mobile. The mobile will then either ring of its own accord, or somebody will point out that it's not actually a phone. This latter example turned up in last weeks 'Back To You'.

Not a sitcom but there was a joke in Emmerdale

[Crossword clue for you. 'Overworked postman'

How many letters?

Too rudddy many.]

That was used word for word in a Doctors epsidoe.

Written by ...?

Whistling nnocently

Prezunctly. :P

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 12 2008, 1:42 PM BST

One joke that seems to crop up, whether nicked, borrowed or whatever, is the one where, in order to get out of an embarrasing predicament, somebody will pretend to recieve a call on their mobile. The mobile will then either ring of its own accord, or somebody will point out that it's not actually a phone. This latter example turned up in last weeks 'Back To You'.

I thought that was standard procedure on a first/blind date - in case you don't like what you see

Quote: Huge Bear @ August 12 2008, 2:08 PM BST

I thought that was standard procedure on a first/blind date - in case you don't like what you see

OooooOOOOOoooooo. Someone's watched Sex and the City.

(Or has gone on an actual date!)

Bob Monkhouse reckoned there were only about 5 jokes and these were being constantly recycled by everybody.

Quote: Finck @ August 12 2008, 2:10 PM BST

(Or has gone on an actual date!)

No really - I was at MayDay festivities in Minneapolis and we were meeting up with a girl who'd arranged an internet date. He was OK when he turned up, but it transpired he looked after reptiles for a living, and used to walk tame crocodiles down the high street to teach kids there was nothing to fear. She got out of it sharpish.

He was from California.

Quote: Finck @ August 12 2008, 2:10 PM BST

I reeeeally couldn't stand that show. I think I may have been a little resentful that a light drama was being broadcast on a comedy channel though.

But still, they're slags.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2008, 2:17 PM BST

I reeeeally couldn't stand that show. I think I may have been a little resentful that a light drama was being broadcast on a comedy channel though.

...ditto, ditto, ditto and apparently if you don't fancy Sarah Jessica Parker you're not a real man...

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2008, 2:17 PM BST

Or it could just be the fact that you're not a soppy old bird!

Quote: Huge Bear @ August 12 2008, 2:20 PM BST

...ditto, ditto, ditto and apparently if you don't fancy Sarah Jessica Parker you're not a real man...

*shudder*

Old horse chops herself.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 12 2008, 2:21 PM BST

Or it could just be the fact that you're not a soppy old bird!

That too!

Quote: Griff @ August 12 2008, 2:23 PM BST

Someone famously described Sarah Jessica Parker as looking like "a horse's head on a xylophone" and that seems about right.

:D

The only line in Family Guy that ever made me laugh was when Peter describes her as 'looking like a foot'.