The Olympics Page 98

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 7:55 PM BST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paralympic_Games_host_cities

fascinating their now biannual and lots of country have hosted them, including Holland and Israel.

nb it seems a shame that paralympians who train and put in as much effort as Olympians don't get the same status.

There are amateur athletes who train just as hard as the Olympians, but are not good enough. There are some very hard-working veteran athletes in the over-50 (etc.) age categories, who also train very hard. None of them get the same status. Why? Because, most people are not interested.

In winning the paralympics you are the best of a tiny % of the population who are disabled.

Additionally...

(1) This tiny-% is further reduced by the subsequent various disability classifications designed to give fair competition.

(2) The paralympics are dominated by countries rich enough for the especial facilities requires to train disabled athletes.

If you win, say, the "100m Freestyle S2" you have beaten too small a pool of people in the world to be heralded too much; not when compared to the able-bodied swimmer who wins the 100m freestyle.

Added to this a general feeling that the disability classifications are forced to be just too arbitrary. How do you quantify the disadvantage of losing a leg, compared to an arm, when doing an event? How much of the limb is gone in each case? In order to be 100% fair, everyone would have almost a completely different classification, and competing against themselves in the "S234/B3647 Freestyle".

Oscar Pistorius's advantage/disadvantage has kept scientists busy for years, and that is just one person/scenario.

"Meh" about the paras tbh. Sometimes they almost seem a bit patronising.

Just heard the news that the Olympic Velodrome has been closed due to failing a Health & Safety Risk Assessment, the results have been declared null and void.. and all the races will have to be re-run at a different location. They've looked at a few possible venues, but have decided on the local Recycling Centre.

Quote: SimonWing @ August 12 2012, 8:06 PM BST

There are amateur athletes who train just as hard as the Olympians, but are not good enough. There are some very hard-working veteran athletes in the over-50 (etc.) age categories, who also train very hard. None of them get the same status. Why? Because, most people are not interested.

In winning the paralympics you are the best of a tiny % of the population who are disabled.

Additionally...

(1) This tiny-% is further reduced by the subsequent various disability classifications designed to give fair competition.

(2) The paralympics are dominated by countries rich enough for the especial facilities requires to train disabled athletes.

If you win, say, the "100m Freestyle S2" you have beaten too small a pool of people in the world to be heralded too much; not when compared to the able-bodied swimmer who wins the 100m freestyle.

Added to this a general feeling that the disability classifications are forced to be just too arbitrary. How do you quantify the disadvantage of losing a leg, compared to an arm, when doing an event? How much of the limb is gone in each case? In order to be 100% fair, everyone would have almost a completely different classification, and competing against themselves in the "S234/B3647 Freestyle".

Oscar Pistorius's advantage/disadvantage has kept scientists busy for years, and that is just one person/scenario.

"Meh" about the paras tbh. Sometimes they almost seem a bit patronising.

People not being interested is could well be the answer to “It seems a shame that paralympians who train and put in as much effort as Olympians don't get the same status.”
I would be surprised if the paralympics are not given as much coverage and paralympians not given the same status as olympians because of what percentage of the disabled population they are/classification/training facilities. I suspect ratings are a more important consideration to broadcasters.

everybody ready for the Spice Girls?

I did think I'd heard Geri halliwell rehearsing earlier.
Turned out to be the horn from a passing cargo ship.

This is weirder than the opening ceremony so far - a traffic jam and Timothy Spall popping his head out of big ben... :S

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 12 2012, 8:58 PM BST

Turned out to be the horn from a passing cargo ship.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Great so far.

Nice to see respec' due to Madness

albeit it ressembles a Neuremberg rally if Hitler did meth

(Godwined!)

I'm guessing Britain invented papier mache.

Whats all this wrapped in newspaper about. Is this to show off our marvelous press.

Quote: chipolata @ August 12 2012, 9:06 PM BST

I'm guessing Britain invented papier mache.

Laughing out loud

Some sort of Blue Peter reference. There'll be some sticky back plastic somewhere.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 12 2012, 8:58 PM BST

Turned out I got the horn from a passing cargo ship.

I don't know which one is worse!

The rising union flag formation in the middle makes it look like we're delivering all of our pop musicians to be sacrificed to a volcano.