The Olympics Page 97

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 2:24 PM BST

Not true to get anywhere in sports you need 2 things; natural ability and training to take advantage of it.

Some of the UK athletes have had hundreds of thousands invested in them to take the natural ability and convert it into world beating performance.

Probably in Tiber or Palestine there's a better potential runner than Mo.

That we spent £260,000,000 on the Olympic team. Whilst swimming pools close around the country.

Is something not to be entirely proud of.

Some sports are more organic than others.

Rich countries blow everyone away in the technology/facilities sports, like cycling, rowing etc.

In fact, distance running is one of the more accessible sports, but I take your point.

On another topic, there's too many swimming medals IMHO. For someone (albeit someone special) to win as many has Phelps has is evidence that the events are too similar, and requiring of a fairly similar body-type/physique. There are small differences, but the swimmer body (no fat, broad shoulders, big hands etc.) is fairly universal. Whereas, in, say, Track/Field shot putters, high jumpers, sprinters, distance runners etc., are all so different.

Max in Track/Field is probably 100,200,LJ,4x100 (4 golds). In exceptional circumstances, maybe adding a 4x400. 8 is ridiculous.

USA knew what they were doing when they went so whole-heartedly after the swimming medals.

Well I was reading about Jessica Eniss. Not to take away from her work and natural talent. But she had maybe 20 people on her support team, nutritionists, physios scientists.
And in China there olympic sciences unit can pick more or less anyone from their 1.2 billion people.

Olympics are great and sometimes they're a reflection of enthusiasim and talent.

But more and more they're about national pride and investment.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 12 2012, 2:29 PM BST

Just before the bend bit where they come back on themselves near Tower Bridge
So we got to see them all twice.
And it was right next to a Pub as well.
Bonus!

Hurrah!

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 2:33 PM BST

Well I was reading about Jessica Eniss. Not to take away from her work and natural talent. But she had maybe 20 people on her support team, nutritionists, physios scientists.
And in China there olympic sciences unit can pick more or less anyone from their 1.2 billion people.

Olympics are great and sometimes they're a reflection of enthusiasim and talent.

But more and more they're about national pride and investment.

It's just cock-waving. Like building tall buildings, and stuff.

America has the highest obesity in the developed world (I believe there's about seven Pacific island nations ranked worse), but they lead the medal table.

Quote: zooo @ August 11 2012, 9:25 PM BST

"I have come to the conclusion that while female presenters have done a fine job, the female voice is not so attractive for actual commentating and in some cases became grating."

If it's a whiny Australian accent, definitely.

Quote: youngian @ August 11 2012, 8:41 PM BST

Bitter man

Perhaps Des didn't realise you get offered a huge wad of cash to move to ITV because its career suicide.

Met him once. Didn't like him much.

So the flame gets put out tonight. Do they relight it for the Paralympics, or do they have their own flame, or no flame?

nb anyone else notice some athletes are competing in both, isn't that well odd?

Especially as the limb missing runners have an advantage.

Quote: zooo @ August 12 2012, 7:28 PM BST

So the flame gets put out tonight. Do they relight it for the Paralympics, or do they have their own flame, or no flame?

I think its a whole other deal the 2 events don't always take place in the same country.

http://www.paralympic.org/torchrelay

Dunno why they don't get gold torches.

Ooh. Alooooominum, as our American friends might say.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 7:34 PM BST

the 2 events don't always take place in the same country.

Didn't know that!

Yeh during the SARS outbreak Ireland had the paralympics and made silly arses of themselves. By threatening to bar Chinese paralympians, as the disabled breath more shallowly and are more likely to spread illnesses/

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 7:34 PM BST

I think its a whole other deal the 2 events don't always take place in the same country.

I didn't know that either. It does this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paralympic_Games_host_cities

fascinating their now biannual and lots of country have hosted them, including Holland and Israel.

nb it seems a shame that paralympians who train and put in as much effort as Olympians don't get the same status.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 7:46 PM BST

Yeh during the SARS outbreak Ireland had the paralympics and made silly arses of themselves. By threatening to bar Chinese paralympians, as the disabled breath more shallowly and are more likely to spread illnesses/

The able-bodied are currently spreading plenty of illnesses, by the sounds of it...

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2012, 7:55 PM BST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paralympic_Games_host_cities

fascinating their now biannual and lots of country have hosted them, including Holland and Israel.

nb it seems a shame that paralympians who train and put in as much effort as Olympians don't get the same status.

Yeah, it gives the impression they are second class. I read an article by a torchbearer who compared the silver torches to silver medals - second place.