Commissioned sitcoms in decline

Hi Everyone!

I am doing my university dissertation on the supposed decline in sitcoms or as so many critics have called it 'the death of the sitcom'.

I am trying to find out when the exact decline was...I am also looking for the number of sitcoms commissioned each year for the past few decades. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. But also, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas they would like me to put in my dissertation then let me know.

Thanks

:D

That seems like a really interesting dissertation!

I guess you've already done a google search: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/news/2006/01/25/29144.shtml

Can't help with the actual stats but would've thought you could get them from media guilds' websites. Or e-mail a question to the beeb.

I've emailed the BBC but they are so reluctant to help and give figures...they just keep referring me to their website which is good but not the most easy-to-navigate website...thanks for your suggestions though...the website you gave is a good start...

Thanks

Everybody is always saying that sitcoms are in decline. Even before they were invented. It's not true. Every decade brings it's classics and howlers. There was no Golden Age. Sitcoms are alive and well.

Don't forget about the sitcom output on radio 4 every week. Ain't no decline there.

Don't worry I'm not forgetting about radio which I know produces a significant amount of comedy which, in fact, highlights the decline in television sitcoms even more so.

And don't forget to control the variable 'format'. Classification of programmes as sitcom/not sitcom might vary and affect the total number of sitcoms, especially as new formats are invented that would have been counted as sitcom before.

Quote: Andrew Downs @ July 28 2008, 2:07 PM BST

Don't worry I'm not forgetting about radio which I know produces a significant amount of comedy which, in fact, highlights the decline in television sitcoms even more so.

Read the above Andrew. There is no decline in television sitcoms. There is more sitcom on British TV now than there has ever been.

...so your dissertation is already in tatters ... welcome to BSG!

You'll fit in better now you're a broken man.. :)

Quote: Marc P @ July 28 2008, 2:01 PM BST

Everybody is always saying that sitcoms are in decline. Even before they were invented. It's not true. Every decade brings it's classics and howlers. There was no Golden Age. Sitcoms are alive and well.

*stands next to Marc P nodding*

Hanger on!

Dan

what Marc P said, although the traditional sitcom (multi camera with a laugh track) is in a lull. Another thing expecially in the US is that a lot of the classic american sitcoms may not make it today as studios don't take a punt like they use.

Quote: Simon Stratton @ July 28 2008, 1:49 PM BST

That seems like a really interesting dissertation!

I guess you've already done a google search: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/news/2006/01/25/29144.shtml

Can't help with the actual stats but would've thought you could get them from media guilds' websites. Or e-mail a question to the beeb.

If only there was a website which provided all sorts of useful information on sitcoms, and had friendly staff happy to help out in resea- Oh.

Unimpressed

I remember first hearing about the supposed decline of the British sitcom about 10 years ago when, to be fair, there were a healthy number of American imports (usually on Channel4) but is it not the case of recent years that there seems to be more traffic going the other way - The Office, Coupling, The Royle family. To varying degrees of success.

I think you'll find yourself concluding at least that the British sitcom is still very much at large.

I'd be very interested to know if they gauge the success by viewing figures as you must remember the ever increasing number of satellite channels the last ten years has seen people have access to.

The traditional sitcom has all but died at the moment. There are a small handful of audience-type shows. Everything else is sketch comedy, panel games or 'clever' stuff.

I can't think of much this decade which will be fondly remembered and ever gaining new audiences in 30 or 40 years time the way shows from the 60s-80s are now.