Just sat in the studio audience for Clone Page 2

Good post, Pete.

I do like Adam Chase's work for Friends but when I was thinking about him doing a new project, I thought "They're all in a room hammering the story out in Friends. How much is he really coming up with?"

Quote: David H @ July 12 2008, 8:49 AM BST

"They're all in a room hammering the story out in Friends. How much is he really coming up with?"

Joey's head up a turkey might have been him ;)

I auditioned for this show (obviously didn't get it) but it spiked my interest and I have tickets for next weeks recording. I hope they've ironed out the delays by then.

feedback - i'd love to know how it developes.

There are some long posts here. I read Pete's initial post - but what the hell is Clone?

Quote: David Chapman @ July 12 2008, 8:22 PM BST

There are some long posts here. I read Pete's initial post - but what the hell is Clone?

*Sigh* If only there was a website that existed which you could look up comedy shows on to find out more about them ;)

Oh - it's a sitcom is it? Why didn't someone say?

Quote: David Chapman @ July 12 2008, 10:50 PM BST

It's in the Sitcom forum section, Dave!!

Quote: David Chapman @ July 12 2008, 10:50 PM BST

We left @ 10.30pm. I'd also reserve judgement until the special effects are put
in. It was interesting in that it was shot like a feature film and watching the actors work under those conditions. Also I felt there was something strange about it and perhaps it shouldn't be taken at the face value of what we saw. Without giving any game away, the name of the hotel was kinda odd (maybe you missed that bit, Pete?) and also the pub scene - there was something fantastical about it all beyond the clone. Or maybe not and maybe my own particular mindset and TV watching history is just trying to make sense of it ... :) Who knows? We missed the scene when they were on the road which may have been the missing link. The warm up man did really well under the circumstances including his own Star Search Olga Korbut moment! Brought out his
competitive streak ;)

Quote: Goldnutmeg @ July 12 2008, 11:36 PM BST

The warm up man did really well under the circumstances including his own Star Search Olga Korbut moment! Brought out his
competitive streak ;)

He was great - but you know when he drags out a chubby little yank that was in a dance competion as a kid so we can watch her cartwheel round the studio.....he's getting desperate!

Quote: Pete @ July 13 2008, 7:35 AM BST

He was great - but you know when he drags out a chubby little yank that was in a dance competion as a kid so we can watch her cartwheel round the studio.....he's getting desperate!

Not when she's the producer's sister. A wise tactical career move ... ;) lol

10 years time i'll be negotiating the sale of my sitcom to NBC and the deal will collapse because the man in charge will produce a copy of this thread and say i called his sister chubby!

It's probably unusual to have an audience for filming/recording something which is basically done like a feature.

Features/films/thrillers etc are usually recorded/filmed in single camera mode, so each bit of dialogue between actors is normally done at least 3 times, Over the shoulder of actor 1, over the shoulder of actor 2 and a mid shot showing both. So it is extremely boring to an audience. Also they would usually be shot out-of-sequence, filming all the scenes of one location then move (or change the set) and do all the scenes of another location. The whole thing won't make any sense to people not on the production team until it is all cut together in post production.

AFAIAA: By contrast when recording a sitcom with a live audience, they normally use a studio with 3 (or 4) permanent sets (maybe on a turntable). All exterior/action scenes are pre-recorded. Then they go through the whole script in sequence, showing the exterior bits to the audience on screens at the appropriate places. And they use 3 cameras so getting all/most of the required shots concurrently. So you only get a re-take when something goes wrong... Which is often hilarious in itself.

So I think your first visit to a studio audience was a bit unfortunate, most are much more fun.

That's correct. Appart from the turntable bit. And I've never seen one with as little as 3 cameras.

this was shot like a sitcom - 3 cameras, ect, etc....but there were bits missing (although it went in order) and they needed lots of re-shots. Unfortunately none of the re-shoots (that happened because of errors) will make the gag reel.....when they shot the same thing three times and then someone screws up a line meaning a 4th go at it...no ones laughing!